Recommended pointing style

Danzka

33 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Recessed would look best I think as you do not need it to be weatherproof.  I like the way the coursing works in with the ceiling, cupboard and beams.  Well done.

Appreciate the feedback @Mr Punter, does recessed work as a style with uneven bricks or is it more intended for modern, evenly sized bricks?

44 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

In a kitchen I would also consider how you will deal with grease, if any is likely to land on it.

in a previous house I uncovered brickwork in the kitchen and coated it with Matt floor polish (as I has access to it fir free ?) and it worked well.

21 minutes ago, joe90 said:

in a previous house I uncovered brickwork in the kitchen and coated it with Matt floor polish (as I has access to it fir free ?) and it worked well.

i use floor polish on leather sofas ?

4 hours ago, Danzka said:

I like it, saves me buying a chariot and negotiating around all the odd shaped bricks as a bonus.  I like the idea of recessed, but all the odd shaped bricks make me wonder if it works work or not. Thanks for taking the time to lend me your experience @Declan52, appreciate it. 

It does work. Have done plenty of recessed beds. Just used one of these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/joint-raker/16590

You just set the nail depth to suit how much you want raked out. 

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

In a kitchen I would also consider how you will deal with grease, if any is likely to land on it.

Yes, that is on the cards @Ferdinand.  Not sure what I’m going to put on it yet, but I know clear brick sealer of some sort exists.  Thanks for making sure this wasn’t missed. 

20 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

It does work. Have done plenty of recessed beds. Just used one of these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/joint-raker/16590

You just set the nail depth to suit how much you want raked out. 

Hmm, you (and helpful others) have helped solidify what would look best, so thanks for that.  Just need to make up my own mind whether I like a shallow (brush) or recessed (chariot) finish ?.   Might be worth doing samples of each around the corner where it will be behind a cabinet and seeing which is personally preferable. 

image.jpg

The last one I did was a little different - I pur a leanto conservatory over a Victorian brick wall, but it was a lounge space not a kitchen.

With that it was wire brush to remove the dust plus a couple of coats of diluted PVA to keep the dust down. That has been fine for 6-7 years now.

In your case, I would look at the external clear waterproofers.

Ferdinand

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

The last one I did was a little different - I pur a leanto conservatory over a Victorian brick wall, but it was a lounge space not a kitchen.

With that it was wire brush to remove the dust plus a couple of coats of diluted PVA to keep the dust down. That has been fine for 6-7 years now.

In your case, I would look at the external clear waterproofers.

Ferdinand

Yes, something to deflect oily/greasy stuff - cheers...

6 hours ago, Danzka said:

Unfortunately no, good idea though...  did you have any trouble with the irregular shape of them?

This is our brickwork. Perhaps not quite as rustic?

444030316_IMG_20200517_1900479721.thumb.jpg.5f0f15295c63389262841b73a30ae692.jpg