Connecting to main sewer

Herbie

Sorry, bit of a newbie question here.

We have a main sewer in the road that we will eventually want to connect to. I've spoken with Thames Water who advised it's £330 for the privilege of being able to connect to their sewer but they don't do the connection, I guess we do.

How is this normally done? Can it be thrust bored at all? 

Thanks in advance.

No it will have to be an open trench. Could range from being reasonable to very expensive depending on road, traffic, depth of sewer etc etc. I would imagine to 330 is an application fee and you would have to pay more for inspections and approval of finished work. Usually water boards will want you to use an approved contractor but check that out. Find out the depth off the water board and start getting some quotes.

51 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

No it will have to be an open trench. Could range from being reasonable to very expensive depending on road, traffic, depth of sewer etc etc. I would imagine to 330 is an application fee and you would have to pay more for inspections and approval of finished work. Usually water boards will want you to use an approved contractor but check that out. Find out the depth off the water board and start getting some quotes.

This forum has been great, super quick reply. Appreciated.

I'll contact Thames Water with some follow up questions, see how much info they will give me before I have to pay the fee.

6 minutes ago, Herbie said:

This forum has been great, super quick reply. Appreciated.

I'll contact Thames Water with some follow up questions, see how much info they will give me before I have to pay the fee.

Normally they will offer you a list of contractors You even find that your groundwork company has a water gas license that would allow them to apply to close the road while they dug and filled a trench 
As above it can be quite expensive once you start closing roads 

I would try your groundwork contractor first If he hasn’t the license he’s sure to know someone who has 

My experience dealing directly with utility companies is that the speak to you as if you already know all of this 

13 minutes ago, nod said:

Normally they will offer you a list of contractors You even find that your groundwork company has a water gas license that would allow them to apply to close the road while they dug and filled a trench 
As above it can be quite expensive once you start closing roads 

I would try your groundwork contractor first If he hasn’t the license he’s sure to know someone who has 

My experience dealing directly with utility companies is that the speak to you as if you already know all of this 

Okay great, well road needs to be closed for electrics and telecoms (no idea what BT or whoever provide the telecoms charge for road crossing) - I think water will be okay as think it runs our side of the verge (waiting for Affinity to come back to confirm a price). I know lining up services to do it under one opening notice will never happen, so plan is to put in grey telecoms duct when we get the power supply on so hopefully they won't need to dig the road up (again).

34 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Okay great, well road needs to be closed for electrics and telecoms (no idea what BT or whoever provide the telecoms charge for road crossing) - I think water will be okay as think it runs our side of the verge (waiting for Affinity to come back to confirm a price). I know lining up services to do it under one opening notice will never happen, so plan is to put in grey telecoms duct when we get the power supply on so hopefully they won't need to dig the road up (again).

May be worth getting in touch with someone like Crown Utilities to get a quote for the lot. A Section 106 road opening licence will be about £500, add at least another £1000 if you need traffic control. Thames will be charging you an infrastructure fee, £300 is about right. 

In terms of depth this will affect the cost substantially - anything over 1500mm invert and you potentially need to put trench shoring in place and the time to connect will increase.