Brickwork Standards

Been looking at what the brickies have been up to and to my untrained eye all is not as it should be.  The face of their work looks good, no complaints, upon inspection of the cavity it looks like sloppy work to me so I'm hoping to get a more informed opinion  from my fellow members:

20200515_192402.jpg

20200515_192318.jpg

20200515_192227.jpg

20200515_192208.jpg

20200515_192034.jpg

20200515_192011.jpg

20200515_191845.jpg

20200515_191856.jpg

20200515_191933.jpg

Are you looking at the squeeze out on the back ..? 

That looks like timber frame - 50mm cavity ..?  As long as nothing is bridging to the face of the frame it looks ok to me. Not a lot of space in there to clean up the backs. 

@Brickie any comments ..? 

@PeterW yep it's in the cavity I'm looking at.  Imas you say, TF then 50mm cavity then block.  Space is tight - having never seen this kind of work I wasnt sure how it should look, that you suggest it looks ok sets my mind at ease ?

You can use a 8ft length of lath to scrap the snotts of the back of the bricks every evening. Lower it down straight then sweep it up cleaning the back of the bricks as you go. It's just a trade of between some of the mortar dropping down to the bottom of the cavity or some snotts. 

We would have left a brick of each corner and had a length of lath at the bottom so any droppings settled on it. At the end of each floor pull them out clean it off then put back in. 

When I built a second skin onto our outhouse (should have/could have just done EWI ?) I used 50mm Rockwool cavity batts in a 60mm cavity. I bent a length of 5mm ali flat 50mm wide a 4" return on the end. I lifted all the squeezed through stuff with it. Mind you it was minimal as I used a Bricky tool. Cleanest cavity you'll ever come across!

@Russell griffiths the soleplate dpc and the slab dpm both lap down and out.

@Oz07This photo probably explains the wall a bit better. There is a 50mm cavity/75mm blockwork/102mm face brick.

The plinth bricks then go up and back so that the rest of the wall can be done in 100mm block ready for render.

Not so bothered about a bit of snot on the back of blocks, it's the line at the bottom which I keep looking at. I think the issue is that 100mm dpc was used for the 75mm blocks so the extra 25mm goes into the cavity. The consequence seems to be that this is acting like a tray and catching crud rather than let it fall all the way down into the bottom of the cavity and below the DPC height.

I'm thinking that I should knock any crap down and then tape a Stanley blade to a bit of lath and try and shave that excess off so it stops catching stuff.

@Declan52 ordinarily that would be a great solution. The brick/block combo in the plinth make this solution probably too awkward to implement.

20200516_090007.jpg

Doesn’t look brilliant but as long as nothing bridges it,no problem. 
I’d be tempted to install a tray above the plinth to prevent a build up on that ledge in the photo,with some coring holes so it can be cleaned out. Maybe you could have a diplomatic word with them about cleaning the back of the wall as they go (known as ‘wiping your a##e’ in London & the South East.)

I was told to use a hose with some good water pressure to knock any snots off.  Didn't need to in the end but did wonder if it was OK to do, I guess its OK in moderation.

5 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I was told to use a hose with some good water pressure to knock any snots off.  Didn't need to in the end but did wonder if it was OK to do, I guess its OK in moderation.

We did this in Australia, leave a few bricks out at tray level and hose the snots off at the end of the day, it all came out of the coring holes. 

I wouldn't do it over here as the salt staining would be horrendous, but over there it dried in seconds.