ICF or SIP for first self-build??

NickK

27 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Watch this weeks Building the Dream programme which is about an ICF build where as usual they run out of money.

That's not a "fault" of ICF though.

They also had some blowouts doing the pour, but this is also the first time I have seen an ICF pour with no shuttering so not entirely surprising.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dpmiller said:

what is your skill set?

To be honest, I would probably get professionals to assist me on ICF - get the first line completely level and then check my ‘’lego’’ skills and bracing before they do the pour.

I would probably leave erection of SIP to the contractor just for speed of it all. I’d do the taping the joints and fitting membrane etc.

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Watch this weeks Building the Dream programme which is about an ICF build where as usual they run out of money.

But they were just crazy on their budget for the level of design they wanted.

By the way, did anyone recognise what system they used?

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

That's not a "fault" of ICF though.

They also had some blowouts doing the pour, but this is also the first time I have seen an ICF pour with no shuttering so not entirely surprising.

Noticed that too which is bizarre as the bracing is supplied by Polarwall in the price - crazy not to use it when you have it :(

4 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

Polarwall is a good system, BUT it needs lots of bracing.  That concrete  has a long way to fall and they should have used a reducer to slow the speed.

Doesn't all ICF need a lot of bracing though? Doesn't matter too much with Polarwall, as I said, it's not rented but in the price. I know I would have bought the bracing if I had to rent it because of my build time..............

• Like 1

Just chatting with my brother 

He used ICF in W Germany some 40 years ago 

Though he did point out that while in the U.K. we had hod carriers 

They had Tele handlers Not a god carrier in site 

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

...Doesn't all ICF need a lot of bracing .....

No. 

Some bracing is sensible. As is careful pouring.  It's perfectly possible to pour without bracing.

It's how you pour that matters just as much as super careful preparation.