What a great builder I have

joe90

Well guys, as you may know I have taken on a local builder with a good reputation for our new build and didn't even get another quote as he was so highly recommended by many people, even my late mother in law knew their family as "gooduns". Because of personal circumstances I am unable to get to site for a couple of months and rely on the builders sending me photos of the work so far. My wife was able to visit this last weekend and I discovered through her description and photos a few issues that I thought were wrong. So I called the builder and he went straight to site and we discussed the " issues" whilst he was on site. It turns out that I was wrong about some things and others had not been specified correctly at the outset so my mind was put at rest. I then Emailed him to say sorry to be a pain and thank him for being understanding. Here is his reply:-

John,
No problem at all. We all realise your predicament up there and are only too
happy to help in any way we can. As I have said before, it is your dream
home that you are entrusting us to build on your behalf, so you should have
no concerns about questioning anything that  you don't fully feel
comfortable with, or indeed have a vision of that you need to pass on to me
or the men on site.
It sometimes gets lost in translation between architect, drawings, customer,
contractor and men on site exactly what the final finish product is hoped to
be, so frequent updates, photos and discussions are justly required.
I can get an oak lintel, no probs. What sort of size and finish?

how lucky am I to find such a good builder, if anybody wants his details ( near Bude) just ask.

• Like 3

It is indeed a good feeling when you have a builder that you know and trust.

Mine was the same. I had worked with them before (I wired a house they were building) and knew their craftsmanship and attention to detail, and knew they had a skilled team that worked together well, and were very easy to work with.

It will surprise some on here that I employed them without a written contract, just a handshake. I paid in stages in arrears so they put trust in me to pay for the work done, as I put trust in them to do a good job.

• Like 1

And my situation was even more unusual because I genuinely did not know how far I would get with the money I had. So right from the start it was agreed to have a regular review of where we were and there would come a point where I would have to say stop. That point turned out to be a complete structural frame with windows and doors, but no wall cladding, no insulation and no roof covering. That was where I took over on my own to eek out the budget.

We parted on good enough terms that in the future they are happy to do more work for me as and when the budget allows.  Oh and I will be doing some wiring for them in the new year.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I don't do blogs but I thought I would share the look of my build now the scaffold is down, once again I could not be more pleased with the build and my builders.

IMG_0277.JPGP S shame I can't get many building materials in the car !!!

Edited by joe90
Adding
  • Like 3

Thanks for your comments guys, our neighbour has finally moved away (hooray) , the caravan is still on site Nick, your most welcome anytime. The colour of the windows is a sore point, we thought we had picked "National trust green" ( olive green) it wasn't till the windows were delivered already sprayed that we realised what RAL 1000 actually looked like, don't ever pick a colour from an iPad colour chart ?. The good news is we love the colour and have had lots of comments about how nice they look and the colour compliments the bricks ( phew). Yes it's larger than we thought, the planners didn't like dormers but the appeal judge thought it was in keeping hence we won our planning appeal. Just the inside to do now ?.

• Like 1

Well done, looks a great property and the colour on the windows works well with the brick, not to long before moving in now ;)

For me, after doing thousands of quotes/orders in whites and greys. It's a joy to see someone use different colours for the windows. I've personally had many orders with different colours over the years, in particular, Pink RAL 4003, Olive Green RAL 6003, White Aluminium RAL 9006 and others but few and far between. It's usually grey or white. I like to see a little bit of adventure with colours. RAL 4003 actually looks really good against a white render.

I've done a few doors with the frame being RAL 7016 and the door sash being in the red RAL colour range & they look stunning - in my view, don't be feared to mix and match colours if you can get away with it. The frame can be a different colour from the sash - I would urge people to consider different colours. The problem is, RAL 7016 tends to work so well with so many different finishes.

Edited by craig

Looking good @joe90

As @craig says, going for a non standard window colour really can pay dividends.  We went for a similar green in our last house at were very pleased with the look:

PA190363.thumb.JPG.318538fc86b26b663f3ad18e0436fc2a.JPG

There are a few old croft houses up here that have bright red doors, works really well against the stone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, craig said:

RAL 6003

We've painted our storage containers Matt olive green drab and they blend in to the woodland background to the extent that visitors say what containers?

The problem I have is the different shades, if you search for RAL 6003 and look at them as a page of images you'll find at least 12 different shades of the same RAL colour.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1024&bih=664&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=v12gWaTQM4WjwAK81bjQDQ&q=ral+6003&oq=ral+6003&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.12..0l2j0i30k1l3.9922.23195.0.24266.9.7.2.0.0.0.421.960.3j2j4-1.6.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-img..2.5.393...35i39k1j0i67k1.KMmb5MVeSWI

Edited by Triassic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Triassic said:

We've painted our storage containers Matt olive green drab and they blend in to the woodland background to the extent that visitors say what containers?

The problem I have is the different shades, if you search for RAL 6003 and look at them as a page of images you'll find at least 12 different shades of the same RAL colour.

+1.

Works.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, webmaster786 said:

It's always feeling great to see someone using different colors for windows.

Even though it was a mistake!!! But one we have no regrets over as lots of people have said how nice the windows work with the brickwork.