Plastic or Metal Guttering?

Trying to decide what type of gutter to go for and hoping some feedback from other self builders will help to give us a steer.

There is a significant price difference from PVC to aluminium etc but not sure if the cost increase can be justified. Does it make a material difference visually if you go for PVC over metal? 

What have other members gone for? Any regrets/issues?

If the powder coated metal is the mutts nuts then so be it, but I dont want to throw money at this is a cheaper option is just as good.

TIA 

Personally I can't stand the creaking plastic guttering does when it expands/shrinks with temperature. But that is probably not a big enough reason to spend five times the price on metal, but I did anyway.

We used Lindab steel guttering which has been up for eight years and no problems at all. Doesn't creak like plastic. Lindab has a different way of fitting downpipes to plastic and all cuts have to be done by hand.

Plastic guttering varies in quality considerably. The very cheap stuff is , well, very cheap, in every way. I'll be using metal, having seen the Linda stuff I like the quality of it.

I installed plastic (fake cast iron) and it looks great, plastic is only noisy/creaky if Installed as supplied! It only creaks if the guttering is tight in the brackets, heats up in sunshine and scrapes through the brackets. Using a sharp knife or spoke shave take a little off the guttering where it fits in the brackets so it slides without jarring and it will be perfectly silent, I know, mine is. People have commented that  “your cast iron guttering must have been expensive “ ?

https://www.fasciaexpert.co.uk/gutters-and-downpipes/cast-iron-gutters-and-downpipes?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2PP1BRCiARIsAEqv-pSUTE7P__bYtmp6uEtUJSmPVDKzvmMLHTFjmwkCMKWkZUsEh_RROxQaAvdLEALw_wcB

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

I wanted Marley Alutec, hidden fixings, 50 years colourfast and guarantee, easy to install, but priced up at over 3k. In the end I fitted Floplast plastic, £200.00, so far no creaks, all joints lubed and plenty of expansion space. I used the top hung brackets so invisible from the ground,  time will tell I guess.

Colour is an issue too- black will expand more and quicker, and darker colours lighten more with age.

We went with Brett Martin Proline ogee in anthracite and it's quiet and unobtrusive. Didn't cost a whole lot more than cheap halfround or square...

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

What is your facia material 

no point putting metal gutter on plastic facia 

No fascia - rise and fall brackets into brickwork dentil detail.

Missus is saying grey gutters. Trying to decide if the cost is worth it or not. 

My gutters are still brown, copper initially, was expecting them to have gone green by now ten years on 

not expensive when compared with having to do it more than once 

Edited by tonyshouse
Extra point