New Build Progess

Just realised I have no pictures of the finished frame so I will take some tomorrow. 

The roof has now been felt/latted and loaded out. The brickwork is well on it's way too.

• Like 1

@LA3222 looks great thanks for sharing. Been patiently waiting to see your progress over the last few weeks as tou know im I'm aiming to do the same as you with SIPS and insualted raft. Looks like it's going great! Amazing how big it looks now with the kit up! 

Are those  L shaped skylights?  I've a stack of them at the rear of mine.. interesting to see how the manufacturer has built them out. 

Well done so far back congrats! 

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

It is a nice looking design.  I like the dormer type windows, which I guess is vernacular style?  Is the cladding brick for the rest?  How do you support above the "extension" roof?

The dormers took some getting used to when we first started with the design - a county/village look we had to work with. I have grown to like them - they are far less in your face than I thought based on drawings.

The house is full height, 8.6m ish iirc, but the dormers also helped the house look more like a 1.5storey and so less 'overbearing' on neighbouring properties. This sounds all good and dandy on a planning app, the reality though is that it is still massive compared to the neighbouring dormer bungalows - a good job the nearest house is 40m away.

There will be rendered blockwork on the plinth and some brick detail at the eaves and on the gable verges.

Unfortunately, as I wanted blockwork there had to be a couple of steel beams to carry the blockwork over the extensions. One is 7.4m wide, the other 4.4m. A pita but we wanted blockwork outer - it gets very windy here and we wanted a more substantial outer. I'm doing all I can to insulate them and reduce thermal bridging through a combination of aerogel insulation and marmox thermoblocks. 

2 hours ago, LA3222 said:

The dormers took some getting used to when we first started with the design - a county/village look we had to work with. I have grown to like them - they are far less in your face than I thought based on drawings.

Personally I love dormers. If done right obviously but I also always hear how difficult they are to insulate and seal especially if passive house standard is to be achieved. Is that really true with SIP dormers, though?