Sealing between riser sections of an I/C

ToughButterCup

Well I air tested out chambers.

Only because it meant the entire drain run could be tested in one.  I tried it before BCO arrived and was surprised all the risers and lids did seal.

Once I knew they sealed it was quicker to do the test in one rather than something like 3 or 4 individual runs between chambers.

2 hours ago, Miek said:

Some makes charge extra for seals. I've just bought JDP ones and they come with seals, but to be honest I'm not sure why they have them.

if you have a high water table then water will be seeping in and running down to the sewer continually.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JFDIY said:

If you must have them, buy one, then assuming it's a regular O-ring measure the cross section then buy it off the roll and using super glue it's easy to make your own

... buy it off the roll .... help me would you please?

What would I be looking for ? I don't know where to start. Just a simple hyperlink will get me going. Thanks,

Ian

12 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

if you have a high water table then water will be seeping in and running down to the sewer continually.

Currently the water table has disappeared. But your point is well made.

20200430_092539.thumb.jpg.2f16857461e70fc92a679f15174fba79.jpg

By sheer chance the I/C I'm talking about is right next to the land drain ( see red elipse above) designed to protect the slab from frost heave. All but one of the I/Cs will be next to that land drain.

Except one. I'll need to fettle that more carefully.

Thanks very much.

Ian

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

... buy it off the roll .... help me would you please?

What would I be looking for ? I don't know where to start. Just a simple hyperlink will get me going. Thanks,

Ian

If they're round cross section rubber O-rings you can buy the cord and just join with super glue.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Seals-O-Ring-Cord/c19_4549/index.html?page=1

Need to make sure it's clean before flying with thinners or car brake cleaner etc, but easy to do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Who needs a land drain when you have unsealed ic inspection chambers!? Tongue in cheek

and 

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Is it worth all the agro @AnonymousBosch a 450mm riser with sealing ring is £8.60 is it worth the ag of trying to make something. 

and 

Morning [...].

Could you tell me if the joints between the risers on our I/Cs  need to be sealed? I ask, because all the I/Cs (bar one) are positioned right next to the land drain which surrounds the slab (the anti-frost heave drain) - marked with a red elipse in the attached  photograph. Kind regards, Ian. Reply by text is fine if its easier for you.

Message to BCO this morning.

her reply by text

Hi Ian it is good practice but not a typical standard we see. Thanks. [...]

Well, that bottoms that out. Silicone it is then.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Ian