Window Options - Casement or Tilt/Turn

soapstar

Hello.

Our build is planned to have tilt/turn windows all round (1.5 storey house with dormer windows and large gable feature window). Now it has just occurred to me that instead of having tilt/turns all round, why don't we have standard casement windows which have one opening method opposed to two for tilt/turn. The only advantage I can see for tilt/turn windows is they open inwards to clean etc however I could see this being a pain if you have anything in front of the window on the inside!

On the safety side of things does a normal casement window comply? I don't see why it wouldn't given it complies with the 450mm minimum width/height restriction as per building regulations? They are probably a lot cheaper than tilt turn also I would imagine!?

I have noticed a lot of you on here discuss top hung windows quite regularly.

Thanks!

3g for me and cheap windows are a false economy. 

I love inward opening tilt and turn for cleaning, with friction stays you can reach out through the “hinge side” to clean. Fire escape windows will be required which like you say is about clear width and height. 

don’t go below 800 to glass or you will need toughened 

Sounds nice 

If you have curtains on inward tilt turn you need an extra long rail so the window can be opened.  Also the open window takes up space in the room.  Upside is you can have external blinds or shutters.

For outward opening, the reversible types are good for cleaning

We have 3g tilt and turn windows and french doors and most of the time they're open on tilt only. As others have said easy to clean upstairs. Only disadvantage we found was curtains in dormers.

• 2 months later...
On 13/05/2020 at 17:50, Russell griffiths said:

We originally thought we were having tilt n turn, but in the end went with top hung, saved a couple of quid and we really like them, however we haven’t moved I yet and won’t be for some time. 

Can I ask why you went for top hung and not side hung over the tilt and turn? I don't want T&T and supplier wants to put in top hung but not sure I like them? Thank you! 

I had tilt and turn windows in my first house, casement on my second and now have side hung , this was something I never gave a lot of thought to but if I did it again I’d go back to casement. My problem is a couple of cats that I can’t let out because of the proximity of the road and I find it impossible to open the side hung windows enough to let air in but also keep cats from escaping, wouldn’t have had this problem with the casement and the ones we had from quick slide could also be tilted for cleaning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powerjen said:

Can I ask why you went for top hung and not side hung over the tilt and turn? I don't want T&T and supplier wants to put in top hung but not sure I like them? Thank you! 

Just liked the way you can open a few inches without  them protruding out too much, we still haven’t moved in but I do really like them. 

We had norrsken windows. 

• Like 1