Plasterboarding junctions

4 hours ago, pocster said:

Right !

I’m going to take a ‘z’ attitude ?

Don’t bother replying unless you have something constructive to say or come round and actually do it for me . Don’t comment because you want a like or a thanks . Admins job is to know everything and give 100% accurate advice for free .

??????

5953BB78-651B-46AA-B3CB-49A62746E090.jpeg

I have scaled from the picture and it is now very slightly too far to the right.    :ph34r:

P.S.  I see you have foamed the joints.  My plasterer told me off for filling the joints, he said leave them and he will fill them with plaster while setting out.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pocster said:

What !!!

I was here at 8:30 ! Took 2 hours a right pain . Access was the issue ( the timber work bodge above it is rather Frankenstein’s monster )

Anyway you are not allowed to reply as your response wasn’t constructive.

Do you get pleasure in your criticism?

Why weren’t you more helpful and come round and do it for me ?

Why do you pick on me and mention my ‘fuss’ ? . Why belittle me and not offer help ?

Do you think you look big and clever now ?

I only ask for help yet you mock me and make me change it .

???????????????

One more bad work from you and I will send round some highly trained cats to crap in your garden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I have scaled from the picture and it is now very slightly too far to the right.    :ph34r:

P.S.  I see you have foamed the joints.  My plasterer told me off for filling the joints, he said leave them and he will fill them with plaster while setting out.

He can scrape them out ! ?

I’ll send him photos first too see if he wants anything altered , then he won’t be miserable on the day . Got to cut back the vent and cut 2 holes for down lighters 

I also have an intrest in this question, I have a room that is just under 2.4m wide so if I put the boards with the joist, is there any point in staggering the boards as it would create unsupported joints.

Also if you board the ceiling first, then the walls, do you need perimeter noggins as the ceiling boards will rest on the wall boards?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

cut 2 holes for down lighters

Why not leave them.  Measure and mark carefully on a drawing, tuck the wires up so they don't get caught later and drill the holes when he is finished and after you have painted the ceiling?

17 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Why not leave them.  Measure and mark carefully on a drawing, tuck the wires up so they don't get caught later and drill the holes when he is finished and after you have painted the ceiling?

No chance !

Even checked with the plasterer - he said cut them first . More work for him but better for me !!

4 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Who the hell cuts spotlights in first?! Crazy. 

ME. Every time.  Never had a problem or complaint.

Nobody questions cutting in light or socket holes before plastering, why not cut light holes?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

If you ceiling is less than 2.4 do in full. That being said if was 1800 or less on 600 centres I'd be using the offcut. 

If I screw up positioning light holes it’s just a new piece of plasterboard . As I said even plasterer said do this . He said he can skim round them perfectly 

Edited by pocster

12 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

If you ceiling is less than 2.4 do in full. That being said if was 1800 or less on 600 centres I'd be using the offcut. 

I did notice the issue with the vent - if you read back ?

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

ME. Every time.  Never had a problem or complaint.

Nobody questions cutting in light or socket holes before plastering, why not cut light holes?

Yes but you are a sparky.

Big ceiling with lots of spots and the plasterer will not thank you for covering it with holes.

Logistically also how do you think this works on a normal job? Plasterer is trusted to drill holes? Electrician comes back between 1st and 2nd fix yet before skimming? Don't the holes get filled with skim?! Loads neater to just do a good plan and cut out on 2nd fix

46 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Can't have noticed it very well if you cut the board around it without moving!

Thought I might get away with it 

Sometimes you try things and let them go - other times you come back and change it .

Also I put the horizontal boards up first so it didn’t appear to tight to the slope . Then I swapped and did the slopes first ...

Edited by pocster

12 hours ago, pocster said:

Sometimes you try things and let them go

Some git will always point them out!

On a serious note we cut all the ceiling holes first and managed OK as first time plasterers.

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pocster said:

Right !

I’m going to take a ‘z’ attitude ?

Don’t bother replying unless you have something constructive to say or come round and actually do it for me . Don’t comment because you want a like or a thanks . Admins job is to know everything and give 100% accurate advice for free .

??????

5953BB78-651B-46AA-B3CB-49A62746E090.jpeg

Almost believable but you included a photo...

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Oz07 said:

What do you do go back while the boarders are boarding?!

Go back after boarding, cut the holes, make sure the wires are still there and leave them within reach above the boards.

I would MUCH rather mark out the holes on a bare plasterboard where you can still see where all the joists and PB joints are, than try and do it on a finished ceiling and risk drilling into the bottom of a joist or dwang.

I learned very early on, don't trust other trades to cut downlight holes, not if you want them to be in a straight line.

• Like 2

I was pretty surprised how refined our finished walls were given the relatively rough nature of the boarding (no worse than many others I've seen). Good tapers and plasterers can deal with some pretty rough edges I reckon.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jamieled said:

I was pretty surprised how refined our finished walls were given the relatively rough nature of the boarding (no worse than many others I've seen). Good tapers and plasterers can deal with some pretty rough edges I reckon.

I was hoping someone would say that ! . I shall continue my rough work ??

I don't think that will cause them problems.

As @ProDave said - cut the holes out before skimming and make sure the wires are there so if you make a mistake you can just change the board OR make sure you measure and record exactly where the wires are and leave them plenty long enough.  You could drop a plumbline and mark the floor (permanently) where you need to drill.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I don't think that will cause them problems.

As @ProDave said - cut the holes out before skimming and make sure the wires are there so if you make a mistake you can just change the board OR make sure you measure and record exactly where the wires are and leave them plenty long enough.  You could drop a plumbline and mark the floor (permanently) where you need to drill.

So I’m almost a professional plaster boarder !! ?