Garage/Workshop Fantasy Time

11 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

How about a dual function megnetic system that could also levitate a car for an oil change. Lifts and pits are 20th century thinking.

May struggle with a carbon composite car.

And oil changes are 20th century.

Fantasy cars are electric, powered by a secret technology developed by self taught engineers, made from old tin foil and coke cans, with all the profits being funnelled back to the Rothschild.

Hell, I thought you would know all about that being an economics expert.

I popped round my friends house today to borrow a block and tackle to drag my heavy bath up the stairs. This was in his garage, that’s my fantasy!

DBADDD23-C657-4EA2-B60A-3CD4D4F533F5.jpeg

Edited by Russdl
Scrubbing out the VRN a bit more effectively.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Russdl said:

I popped round my friends house today to borrow a block and tackle to drag my heavy bath up the stairs. This was in his garage, that’s my fantasy!

Can I ask what his missus looks like?

• Haha 1

@dpmiller No, its sat where his old mini used to be I think, that's been relegated to the other, less posh, garage. That's a 4 bay garage with a fifth car up on the lift (left of the picture). I think he's got 8 cars altogether, all of them a bit special and worth a bob or two.

Git!

I guess I should add that he's a nice git, he did lend me his block and tackle after all.

Edited by Russdl
to clarify the 'git' bit

2 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Git!

Most Sunday mornings last year someone used to drive his McLaren around Penzance (one of the poorest places in the UK).

He used to turn it around in by the Chapel Street COOP.  Just to upset all us poor people.

Lots of noise from the car, lots of clasped hand movements from the public.

Not seen him this year.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Russdl said:

That garage is cleaner and more inviting than many of the houses I work in.

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That garage is cleaner and more inviting than many of the houses I work in.

Used to work at a major oil exploration offices next to Buckingham Palace. If someone so much as got a bit of wheel spin on leaving the underground garage in their Maserati or whatever, a lacky would appear with green floor paint and touch up the scuff marks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/05/2020 at 21:16, MortarThePoint said:

I've had the floor designed for a 5kN/m2 loading, 150mm mesh reinforced. I don't know if that's enough for a 2 post lift but probably not. Underneath that it's MOT Type 1 for about a metre down to the stiff clay

My pal Tony who is a "proper" CE said off the cuff that 200mm would be a bare minimum for a "working" garage, & I've heard tell that really you want 250...300mm in the immediate area (a metre or 2 front and back I guess) around a 2 poster in case you get a badly unbalanced load which can put serious torque on the bottom fixing. If in doubt a 4 poster speads the load much more evenly and is more forgiving in terms of the base. OK, they're more expensive, but you might recoup the cost on a thinner floor.

15 hours ago, Reiver said:

My pal Tony who is a "proper" CE said off the cuff that 200mm would be a bare minimum for a "working" garage, & I've heard tell that really you want 250...300mm in the immediate area (a metre or 2 front and back I guess) around a 2 poster in case you get a badly unbalanced load which can put serious torque on the bottom fixing. If in doubt a 4 poster speads the load much more evenly and is more forgiving in terms of the base. OK, they're more expensive, but you might recoup the cost on a thinner floor.

Thanks, good timing to have he input as we haven't poured yet so still an option to change.

Thinking about the physics of this a bit more, it might be a good idea to contact your preferred lift vendor and get a base spec.from them as the required strength could vary a lot depending on the design of the posts: if they have biggish "spreaders" to distribute the force then the torque on the mounting from an unbalanced load will be a lot less than if say it's just a 500mm square plate, and the requirements for your base will follow. By friend Big Nick had one installed a few years back and the first thing the guy did was to drill some test holes in various places in his workshop floor. He wouldn't install it where Nick really wanted as there was only 5 or 6" thickness concrete there, and so it got put somewhere else where there was 10...11" IIRC. FYI, the 200mm figure Tony gave me was based on a 6m x 12m slab and being able to carry/work on a small van.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Reiver said:

Thinking about the physics of this a bit more, it might be a good idea to contact your preferred lift vendor and get a base spec.from them as the required strength could vary a lot depending on the design of the posts: if they have biggish "spreaders" to distribute the force then the torque on the mounting from an unbalanced load will be a lot less than if say it's just a 500mm square plate, and the requirements for your base will follow. By friend Big Nick had one installed a few years back and the first thing the guy did was to drill some test holes in various places in his workshop floor. He wouldn't install it where Nick really wanted as there was only 5 or 6" thickness concrete there, and so it got put somewhere else where there was 10...11" IIRC. FYI, the 200mm figure Tony gave me was based on a 6m x 12m slab and being able to carry/work on a small van.

I watched the US video below that talks of locally thickening to 6", ie 150mm.

As we are having an insulated floor I'll need to double check though.

https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/concrete-floor-requirements/

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Post-Lift-FAQ-Concrete

If you're having an insulated floor then I'd consider casting two big blocks at the start, with proper bolt boxes and cones and just accept that that part won't be insulated, the put the insulated slab around it and de-couple them to stop cracking

• 2 months later...

Can't move in mine.

On 19/05/2020 at 11:16, Russdl said:

No one has asked the question yet, just permission to ask the question. 

I missed this back in May.

So, is she fit? Scale of 1 to 10.