Hi all,

I have a silly question on VAT. Hopefully the answer is straight forward. 

My brother owns an area of land. I have applied for planning permission and it looks like its about to be granted. If I now transfer his plot to me would I be able to claim the VAT in the normal way at the end of the build? I.e. it doesn't have any bearing that he owned the land when the planning was submitted?

33 minutes ago, osmononame said:

Hi all,

I have a silly question on VAT. Hopefully the answer is straight forward. 

My brother owns an area of land. I have applied for planning permission and it looks like its about to be granted. If I now transfer his plot to me would I be able to claim the VAT in the normal way at the end of the build? I.e. it doesn't have any bearing that he owned the land when the planning was submitted?

Yes you should be able to claim the vat back as normal on the build 

How you came about the land shouldn’t effect your claim 

41 minutes ago, osmononame said:

Yes that should be fine as long as it meets the criteria for the VAT reclaim scheme, for example you are building a house for you or your family to live in and there are no restrictions in the planning permission tying the property to a business. 

The important thing seems to be all the invoices must be in the name of the person making the VAT claim.

They ask to see the planning permission to determine the build is lawful but I don't think it matters who's name is on the planning permission.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

They ask to see the planning permission to determine the build is lawful but I don't think it matters who's name is on the planning permission.

Indeed, it wasn’t my name on the PP. 

• Like 1

If your council has implemented the CIL....

You might already know that self builders are exempt BUT only if they claim the exemption before work starts on site and follow other petty rules. See the procedure listed at the top of the exmption form. Get it wrong and you can loose the exemption with no option but to pay it.