Nas as nvr

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Don't know.

Finally after 10000000000000 hours windows appeared. Bearing in mind I've not actually installed the software I want... The mouse pointer is real jerky and frequently just stops with the spinny shit thing. That typical of Windows?

tbh, I think it's typical of Virtual Box. I used to run a Win 10 VM on virtual box but it was jerky as hell but I lived with it as I just used it to create invoices. and I have an iMac Pro so it's not like I don't have the CPU power to run it in Virtual Box! just never could be bothered to sit down and figure out why as my usage was so low.

but it's much better running from the NAS for some reason.

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Z wave . raspberry pi or mac as server. Save A FORTUNE!

I don't want to use wifi. I want hardwired automation as much as possible. besides, it goes without saying that the kids are happy to eat bread and water as long as daddy has his toys to play with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

I don't want to use wifi. I want hardwired automation as much as possible. besides, it goes without saying that the kids are happy to eat bread and water as long as daddy has his toys to play with.

Ahhhh.

I only use Z wave for comms from sensors etc. - it's REALLY reliable. Everything is poe powered; though so no batteries...

I even have Z wave in my rentals. So it must be pretty good or I'd bin it.

14 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

tbh, I think it's typical of Virtual Box. I used to run a Win 10 VM on virtual box but it was jerky as hell but I lived with it as I just used it to create invoices. and I have an iMac Pro so it's not like I don't have the CPU power to run it in Virtual Box! just never could be bothered to sit down and figure out why as my usage was so low.

but it's much better running from the NAS for some reason.

You have a Mac ? And you TOUCH windows ?!?!?!? ?

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

You have a Mac ? And you TOUCH windows ?!?!?!? ?

I have invoice software that only runs on windows. that and makeMKV is what I use it for. hence just having a VM I can spin up when required. otherwise we're an Apple household with a few Google devices thrown in for fun.

• Like 1

Just now, Thorfun said:

I have invoice software that only runs on windows. that and makeMKV is what I use it for. hence just having a VM I can spin up when required. otherwise we're an Apple household with a few Google devices thrown in for fun.

Good ! If you were a windows man I’d tell you to jump !

So for this windows software I might have to buy a cheap laptop anyway ffs !

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Good ! If you were a windows man I’d tell you to jump !

So for this windows software I might have to buy a cheap laptop anyway ffs !

nope. I'm a Unix engineer by trade. don't do Windows unless I really have to. although it is good for gaming!

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Ps5 for gaming ?

it does look good! did you see that video showing off the new unreal engine on PS5? hang on....I'll dig it out....

watch in on Chrome in 4k (Safari only offers 1080p max). truly stunning!

I skipped the PS4 as I preferred the Xbox One X but I think a PS5 might be on my list to Santa this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

it does look good! did you see that video showing off the new unreal engine on PS5? hang on....I'll dig it out....

watch in on Chrome in 4k (Safari only offers 1080p max). truly stunning!

I skipped the PS4 as I preferred the Xbox One X but I think a PS5 might be on my list to Santa this year.

Of course I’ve seen it ! Use to work in the games industry. Know some people who have dev units .... Stunning number crunching going on 

• Like 1

Wine ( not the one you drink ) isn't 64bit unless you compile yourself (f that)

On site mc is just i3. At home tried on my i7. Fiddled a LOT think it might be usable. At least I'm no longer swearing at Cortana and a juddering mouse pointer....

• 2 months later...
On 13/05/2020 at 10:05, joth said:
On 12/05/2020 at 22:20, Thorfun said:

I wouldn't bother with using 4 disks in a Raid 1 configuration though. the chances of 2 disks going in the time it takes to buy a new disk and replace a single failed drive is very slim! if you want a single disk just for the NVR then just configure 3 disks in a Raid 5 configuration leaving the one disk for the NVR. You'll end up with the same total capacity but still have a dedicated drive just for the NVR.

Yeah - I went for Raid 10 across 4 drives mostly because my NAS is on Linux and I'm using btrfs which I love, but I don't fully trust its RAID 5 support (and probably never will as it looks like the winds are blowing towards zfs these days). Also I had some bad experience with Raid 5 on my old Infrant ReadyNAS that got slower over time but was a real pickle to convert back from.

With the 1019+  my inclination would be same -- even  start out with 4 or even three drives in Raid 5, put the NVR on it too, see how that goes and consider how to use the remaining 2 bays as space and speed demands evolve.

On 13/05/2020 at 08:56, pocster said:

Clicked the basket and went for the 1019+

I'll watch how you get on with interest! I'm sure 8GB RAM is plenty, but having seen the table above the lack of future expansion on this is the only hesitation I'd now have on it.  (Full disclosure, I installed Home assistant  on a Virtual Box VM (on ubuntu) yesterday , as they're deprecating the docker install I was using, and while it runs absolutely fine the act of carving out 2GB dedicated to the VM did make me twinge rather).

Well... roll on a couple months (and a few surprise tangents in the conversation here :xD ) and I'm thinking about this topic again. Bizarrely because I decided to sell all my current AV and Sonos stuff and start over in the new house, and LMS (nee Squeezeserver) seems to be the winner, which is hilarious as this is what I used 15 years ago for multi room audio and it looks like I've gone full circle! It was a joy to unpack my old gen2 SqueezeBox and setup again, I bought it in 2006 and still supports every useful file format, and and now even Spotify streams to it great. (Alongside Sonos, it's the only system to  let you mix and match local and spotify media. Even use local playlists as input to have spotify suggest variations)

Anyway point here is I had to go through the motions on reinstalling software stacks few time, and tried out proxmox.com for managing VMs which I found really nice, along with portainer.io to manage docker containers. So I think this is the path for me rather than a proprietary NAS solution.

But the i7 machine I put it on keeps burning out SSD drives so it will soon be time to get a proper server to host it all on. I'm looking at these 16-core Atom machines, may even enough to host my BlueIris Win10 VM too, TBC

https://www.broadberry.co.uk/intel-atom-rackmount-servers/cyberserve-atom-104s

Nice thing with that vs Xeon is it's very low energy draw when idle, and can spin up more cores as needed. (And it's several k£ cheaper)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joth said:

Well... roll on a couple months (and a few surprise tangents in the conversation here :xD ) and I'm thinking about this topic again. Bizarrely because I decided to sell all my current AV and Sonos stuff and start over in the new house, and LMS (nee Squeezeserver) seems to be the winner, which is hilarious as this is what I used 15 years ago for multi room audio and it looks like I've gone full circle! It was a joy to unpack my old gen2 SqueezeBox and setup again, I bought it in 2006 and still supports every useful file format, and and now even Spotify streams to it great. (Alongside Sonos, it's the only system to  let you mix and match local and spotify media. Even use local playlists as input to have spotify suggest variations)

Anyway point here is I had to go through the motions on reinstalling software stacks few time, and tried out proxmox.com for managing VMs which I found really nice, along with portainer.io to manage docker containers. So I think this is the path for me rather than a proprietary NAS solution.

But the i7 machine I put it on keeps burning out SSD drives so it will soon be time to get a proper server to host it all on. I'm looking at these 16-core Atom machines, may even enough to host my BlueIris Win10 VM too, TBC

https://www.broadberry.co.uk/intel-atom-rackmount-servers/cyberserve-atom-104s

Nice thing with that vs Xeon is it's very low energy draw when idle, and can spin up more cores as needed. (And it's several k£ cheaper)

that all looks very interesting and exciting! please keep us informed as to how you get on. I will be following with interest.