Nas as nvr

28 minutes ago, pocster said:

@Thorfun

A question regarding windows VM 

When windows crash ( blue screen of death ) does this in anyway effect the rest of the nas ? . How do you ‘reboot’ the dead windows vm ?

a VM crash should have no effect on the NAS.

rebooting a dead VM on Synology? I don't know! on a Qnap system there's an app called Virtualisation Station. in there you manage and control all of your VMs and can access them through the virtualisation app. how this is done on Synology is beyond me. maybe @joth knows? otherwise, it'll need a google search. I don't have time now but if I get a chance later I'll see if I can find anything on Google about Synology virtualisation.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

a VM crash should have no effect on the NAS.

rebooting a dead VM on Synology? I don't know! on a Qnap system there's an app called Virtualisation Station. in there you manage and control all of your VMs and can access them through the virtualisation app. how this is done on Synology is beyond me. maybe @joth knows? otherwise, it'll need a google search. I don't have time now but if I get a chance later I'll see if I can find anything on Google about Synology virtualisation.

I'm tempted to go for homeseer on a raspberry pi.

The 'designer' software is windows only ( urgh! ). So could in theory run that VM. The designer software is expensive!

1 hour ago, pocster said:

I'm tempted to go for homeseer on a raspberry pi.

The 'designer' software is windows only ( urgh! ). So could in theory run that VM. The designer software is expensive!

the price for home automation I guess!

On 30/05/2020 at 15:29, Thorfun said:

lol. still £99 more than you'd need to spend if you can run a VM on the NAS. Windows 10 (home edition) is free so should be ok for your needs, it's just you can't Remote Desktop to it so would have to administer through the console on the VM software.

running windows 10 on a VM is a bit of a dog with only 2GB ram but if you can give it some more then you should be ok. give it a go and see what happens! the only thing you'll lose is a bit of time.

I've been using Chrome remote desktop quite successfully to connect to my Windows box, you can try that if Microsoft's own product is nobbled not to work on the free ed OS?

I'm similarly doing this to access the Loxone Home automation designer software. I understand they have a Mac OS version of it too now. And the SW is one thing they don't charge for (and it's not terrible either).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joth said:

I've been using Chrome remote desktop quite successfully to connect to my Windows box, you can try that if Microsoft's own product is nobbled not to work on the free ed OS?

I'm similarly doing this to access the Loxone Home automation designer software. I understand they have a Mac OS version of it too now. And the SW is one thing they don't charge for (and it's not terrible either).

and how do you find Loxone? still torn between Loxone and Control-4. i really don't like the Loxone light switches and having to tap a certain number of times to get to the lighting preset you want, whereas Control-4 has switches with many buttons for each preset. but Loxone I can administer myself whereas Control-4 is a closed system. but C-4 is damn sexy and does AV very well whereas Loxone uses iPads for displays and doesn't do AV at all.

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Next plan ( what a faff ! )

VM on my Mac ( virtual box is free ) . Catilina permission issues again !

Downloading win10 iso !

Better be worth all this effort !!

was going to mention virtual box but I figured you'd want the VM on all the time so would have to leave your Mac on permanently. whereas a Pi or VM on the NAS could be on 24/7.

18 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

was going to mention virtual box but I figured you'd want the VM on all the time so would have to leave your Mac on permanently. whereas a Pi or VM on the NAS could be on 24/7.

Nah, Only need the VM when I need to use crappy windows software for editing. 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 20:54, Thorfun said:

and how do you find Loxone? still torn between Loxone and Control-4. i really don't like the Loxone light switches and having to tap a certain number of times to get to the lighting preset you want, whereas Control-4 has switches with many buttons for each preset. but Loxone I can administer myself whereas Control-4 is a closed system. but C-4 is damn sexy and does AV very well whereas Loxone uses iPads for displays and doesn't do AV at all.

It's a bit love hate with loxone. Ideally I want something non-wireless, standards based and I can fully install and service myself, but have the option of professional support if needed. Loxone is closest to that, but they're slowly pushing DIY installers away and going more proprietary. Ironically it's the lightswitch aesthetic that pushed us to them, as I had strict instruction not to have something that looked like an office conference room controller and honestly loxone are the only ones that look like a residential switch to me. 

I'm using home assistant for anything heavyweight and keeping loxone for the core "mission critical" stuff like lighting and heating. Aim is the house should still be broadly usable even if the IP network and every PC and RPi crashes or is turned off. 

2 minutes ago, joth said:

It's a bit love hate with loxone. Ideally I want something non-wireless, standards based and I can fully install and service myself, but have the option of professional support if needed. Loxone is closest to that, but they're slowly pushing DIY installers away and going more proprietary. Ironically it's the lightswitch aesthetic that pushed us to them, as I had strict instruction not to have something that looked like an office conference room controller and honestly loxone are the only ones that look like a residential switch to me. 

I'm using home assistant for anything heavyweight and keeping loxone for the core "mission critical" stuff like lighting and heating. Aim is the house should still be broadly usable even if the IP network and every PC and RPi crashes or is turned off. 

yeah, Loxone certainly ticks those boxes and I do love to play but I also need it to just work for SWMBO and the kids and especially for my mum who will be living with us and with me tinkering the chances are that I'll leave something half-done and stuff just won't work properly coz I've been playing again! she's not great with technology and if I have to tell her that she needs to double tap the centre of the switch to turn the lights off or press the top right for blinds etc she'll have no ideas. plus I really like the office looking controllers from C4/Lutron etc.

it's one of those things that I'm just going to have to get quotes for both and do loads and loads of research and go visit show homes etc and then make a decision.

F me .

I’m sick of those spinny dots 

just a moment 

a bit longer 

hang on

just a moment 

ffs 

“Hello I’m Cortana “
You can guess my response !

I only gave it 1 ‘cpu’ might be the issue 

Jesus Cortana- first thing I’m going to do is turn you off !

Oh hang on “ just a moment “

Give me my Mac back !

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

F me .

I’m sick of those spinny dots 

just a moment 

a bit longer 

hang on

just a moment 

ffs 

“Hello I’m Cortana “
You can guess my response !

I only gave it 1 ‘cpu’ might be the issue 

Jesus Cortana- first thing I’m going to do is turn you off !

Oh hang on “ just a moment “

Give me my Mac back !

Give me strength !

more waiting 

more talking 

SHUT THE F UP!

christ ! One day we will actually get to the windows desktop 

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

“Leave everything to us”

wft ! . Who ? . Crap coders ?

shite OS owners ?

does the software work under Wine?

might reduce your stress levels a little bit (just like the real thing!)

39 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

does the software work under Wine?

might reduce your stress levels a little bit (just like the real thing!)

Don't know.

Finally after 10000000000000 hours windows appeared. Bearing in mind I've not actually installed the software I want... The mouse pointer is real jerky and frequently just stops with the spinny shit thing. That typical of Windows?

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

yeah, Loxone certainly ticks those boxes and I do love to play but I also need it to just work for SWMBO and the kids and especially for my mum who will be living with us and with me tinkering the chances are that I'll leave something half-done and stuff just won't work properly coz I've been playing again! she's not great with technology and if I have to tell her that she needs to double tap the centre of the switch to turn the lights off or press the top right for blinds etc she'll have no ideas. plus I really like the office looking controllers from C4/Lutron etc.

it's one of those things that I'm just going to have to get quotes for both and do loads and loads of research and go visit show homes etc and then make a decision.

Z wave . raspberry pi or mac as server. Save A FORTUNE!