Ground source heating

nod

I’d like to do things a bit differently on our next self build 

As the title suggests GSH

Does anyone have any experience of this 

Cost of install V running costs etc

I looked into it for my build, and the cost of the slinky pipe and all the fittings, and the brine to fill it, way exceeded the cost of the actual heat pump.  And that was not including the cost to install it.

Then add periodic replacement of the brine and disposal of the old.

An ASHP was a no brainer by comparison.

The GSHP also puts the noisy bit with the compressor inside your house.

• Like 1

the only advantage a GSHP will have over anASHP is if we had winters where it was -20c for months ,like canada and some parts of europe - when the better COP ratio of using the heat in the soil .

in worst winter here ASHP could be close to a cop 0f 1+ --but that will only be for a few days ,then add all the extra expense ---so unless you have a lake you can dump your slinky into very easily  ,then I cannot see a good reason to go GSHP

no need in uk to use anything but ASHP

and if a very modern insulated hosue then you won,t need monster heating anyway 

do the numbers and you will see

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

Our PP included a GSHP initially, but when I costed it up it was more than 4 times more expensive to install and would have taken several decades to recover that extra cost from the saving in energy use through life.  There was also a much higher maintenance cost, because the antifreeze in the ground loop needs changing every few years, and the stuff costs a fortune, as it's a special environmentally safe mix.

I had planned on a DIY GSHP install, too, to save money, using the units supplied by Kensa, down in Cornwall ( https://www.kensaheatpumps.com/ ).  They were very helpful when I spoke to them, and had we decided to go for a GSHP I would almost certainly have used them. 

I had to get a minor amendment to our PP to switch to an ASHP. but this was pretty quick and easy, and the planners had no problem with it.  It seems that planners have now realised that ASHPs are very quiet, with the advent of inverter driven units, so there is no appreciable noise nuisance (I think this may have been the reason for needing PP for and ASHP).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Well only if you put it in the house.

Nothing to stop it being elsewhere and running insulated pipework into the house.

But agree with not really worth it as ASHP are so good now.

And easier to buy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

I looked into it for my build, and the cost of the slinky pipe and all the fittings, and the brine to fill it, way exceeded the cost of the actual heat pump.  And that was not including the cost to install it.

Then add periodic replacement of the brine and disposal of the old.

An ASHP was a no brainer by comparison.

Yeah good call Dave 

I hadn’t realised that the bribe would need replacing 

Another thing if you are in Scotland, you need PP for an ASHP unless you have a very large plot. Thankfully I realised while my planning was in and amended it to include the ASHP.