Retrospective building warrant- SCOTLAND

Hi guys,

Second post here. Basically I have converted a window into a door in my house without a building warrant.

This was an oversight. Coming from the door of England, I was not aware of the building warrant and started work soon after learning that planning permission was not needed.

I now know from my previos thread - 

That I do require a building warrant! 

Cards on the table. I intend to sell the house within next few years and I am worrying myself sick.

Where the problem lies is affordability. Due to the Covid 19 pandemic I have very limited funds, and worry that I may incure a huge costs. That said, I also need to he open and honest with the council in order to bit my mind at ease (mentally fragile at the minute)...but the morale of the story is that I want to do the right thing!

I have had a couple of post on the aforementioned thread which advised the council may issue 'slap on the wrist' with a small fee to pay, before they issue a 'letter of comfort'. Other websites, advise differntly, suggesting, I will need to submit plans and go down the whole application route.

Ok, so. Has anyone on here been through something similar, for whatbis a reflectively small job?

Is it likely to be a painless mission?

I expect the council to inspect the work, and assume they may need to expose all my work, which would mean stripping harling and inside framing??....or like Ive also read, that a local authority issued a letter of comfort without even attending, at the cost of £300?

Guys, basically, I have no idea whatbto expect and have heard all sorts of contrasting stories. I want to do this write although Im afraid I will incriminate myself with no money to sort it out.

Thanks in advance...

James

I think the crucial thing here is you did not alter the opening or change the lintels. you only knocked out below the window down to the floor.

That being the case they might not want to see much of what you actually did.

Did you take any photographs?

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I think the crucial thing here is you did not alter the opening or change the lintels. you only knocked out below the window down to the floor.

That being the case they might not want to see much of what you actually did.

Did you take any photographs?

Hi thanks for your reply,

Yeah I took photos. Nothing structurally was changed. 

I know I am probably being overly dramatic. I plan to ring council on Monday. See what the score is.

In Edinburgh they charge £375 for a visit to do with building work which didn't have a warrant but it says it is reduced to £65 for window related work, which this probably comes under.

Your local council should have a form that you can fill in requesting this, in Edinburgh when we had issues getting a warrant signed off to sell our house we found them extremely helpful.

Assuming no structural alterations the regs that will apply will be for trickle vents, U-Value and safety glass.

I found this from Clackmananshire Council which is probably pretty standard.

https://www.clacks.gov.uk/document/2105.pdf

10 minutes ago, AliG said:

In Edinburgh they charge £375 for a visit to do with building work which didn't have a warrant but it says it is reduced to £65 for window related work, which this probably comes under.

Your local council should have a form that you can fill in requesting this, in Edinburgh when we had issues getting a warrant signed off to sell our house we found them extremely helpful.

Assuming no structural alterations the regs that will apply will be for trickle vents, U-Value and safety glass.

I found this from Clackmananshire Council which is probably pretty standard.

https://www.clacks.gov.uk/document/2105.pdf

Thanks you very much for this! 

I have met all the regs as far as I am aware. 

I think I am just going to ring them money and tell them exactly what I uave done. Cheers