Shower trays with shallow traps

When we had the slab laid we put in drains for the shower trays on the rebar. This is 100mm below the surface of the slab, which is our finished floor. The location of the pipe means that we can’t have the drain under the shower head (it’s an 800x1600 tray) it needs to be central on the long axis, either to the side (preferable) or in the middle. This https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/mira-flight-level-rectangular-shower-tray would fit the bill, but the plumber thought the soil might not be deep enough unless the tray was raised 5mm. Does anyone know of a suitable tray with a shallow trap, ideally available with a non slip finish?

Were you planning on having the tray finish flush to the final floor covering? If not, does the 5mm present any other issues? That's a nice looking tray, not seen those before, so I'd go for that unless 5mm will cause issue elsewhere? Any photos available of the actual waste / underside of the tray? 

We had planned to cut the slab to fit a flush tray, but I think a combination of soil pipe level, difficulty in doing it well (it involves cutting right up to the wall) & other things to spend time worrying about has beaten us....

FWIW, I would not fit a factory finished tray flush with the floor. You should, ideally, go for about 15mm of tray being proud of the FFL so you have some 'meat' there to seal back against for water-proofing immediately outside the tray ( aka the splash area ).

• Like 1

@Nick1c

11 hours ago, Nick1c said:

When we had the slab laid we put in drains for the shower trays on the rebar. This is 100mm below the surface of the slab, which is our finished floor.

Is that 100mm from the centre of the pipe and what diameter pipe?

Perhaps look at the McAlpine ST90xx10-70 traps that have centre line of pipe just 35-40mm below the bottom of the tray. They have a 34l/min flow rate. 

Tech drawing down here..

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/shower-traps-accessories/st90cp10-70c-90mm-shallow-shower-trap

I would recommend that the top of the tray is 5mm above the finished floor so door seal doesn't scrape on the floor.

That gives you about 65mm for the tray. Should be quite a few that fit unless I'm missing something.

Just been through this exercise myself.

Edited by Temp

We have got two "Tray Mate Uk" shower trays, one is 1700 x 800 the other is 1700 x 900, they come with shallow traps, but I have used McAlpine traps.

We were going to get the none slip versions but when we looked at the samples they are nasty, they have a really rough surface, but I would say very non slip.

If we find the normal trays are slippy then we will probably fit some anti slip stickers like someone else on here did,

https://www.tmuk.net/TMUK.html

How much depth for the waste have you got, Mcalpine do shallow traps and even a vertical trap.

Edited by wozza

Thank you @Temp thanks for looking, they are all 40mm high & we were looking for something as low as possible. The McAlpine trap looks very handy!

@wozza they look like they will do the job with the McAlpine trap. We have a Mira flight atm with non-slip & like it, if you are finished in the next couple of months please let me know how grippy it feels.