Door Lining Issue

Boris

Our carpenter has cut the space for the door hinges in the wrong place, so the door will open onto the utility cupboards.  Without pulling it all out, do you think we could fill it with a filler ?

20200508_163233.jpg

Clean up the edges around the hinge cut outs, then cut and fit slim graving pieces of wood to fit, glue them in with a decent adhesive, like one of the quick setting polyurethanes, then sand back and fill any slight imperfections.  Filler is likely to chip and crack with time, and it's much easier to do the repair now, whilst you have good access with the door off.

• Like 1

If its his mistake, then he should rectify it at his cost.  Is it all three hinges?

Its a door lining so its most likely to get plenty of use / abuse - needs to either be replaced or have a section of timber fitted.

I would be tempted to take out the the rest of the material along the complete edge and replace with a full strip from top to bottom, the door stop should then cover  the join.

Edited by wozza

My attempts at filling something like that have always shown. Perhaps I am just not very good at it.

In any event if it was the joiners mistake, I would want it so the finished painted item you could not tell it ever happened.

Very common technique when patching up wooden boats to just fit a graving piece, or Dutchman.  Works well, and unlike filler it tends not to show later, as the graving piece with move in pretty much the same way as the underlying timber.  To make a Rolls Royce job it's best to make the cross grain part at an angle, but I doubt it's worth it for something as easy to fix as this.