Rainwater harvesting tanks

Hi there

We don’t have mains drains so we need a water treatment plant, and also a 10,000 litre rainwater tank for the fire brigade should, Heaven forbid we need it, and a 4,500-5,000 for car washing and garden use. 

We’ve had one quote but wondered where you guys got your rainwater harvesting tanks from, and would you recommend them?

Many thanks

Interesting.

I haven't seen a domestic  tank quite that big. 10000 litres is small swimming pool size. Quite some effort will be needed to maintain that amount of water in a usable condition. Unless the local geology is on your side. But if it were you're not likely to be asking us for advice.

Sounds like a job for 3 or 4 5000 litre tanks . When I last looked,  and decided against,  a 5 thousand litre tank was about £600. It was the cost of the surrounding infrastructure that ramped up the total cost so much that the project was shelved. 

Unless a farmer was getting rid of a tank......? That might make it worth reconsidering. 

But I still hanker .... I really like the idea. 

13 hours ago, Mandana said:

Hi there

We don’t have mains drains so we need a water treatment plant, and also a 10,000 litre rainwater tank for the fire brigade should, Heaven forbid we need it, and a 4,500-5,000 for car washing and garden use. 

We’ve had one quote but wondered where you guys got your rainwater harvesting tanks from, and would you recommend them?

Many thanks

So the dedicated rainwater tanks will be expensive and I’m assuming you just want the 10,000 litres on standby so as cheap as possible ..? Does it have to be hooked up to anything or are they ok to drop a hose in to pump it dry..?

If so - cheap as chips globe septic tank will

do it. Clearwater Alpha is the type of thing you could use, change of £700 and you would need two,  you could just pipe inlet to outlet to fill it and then it is done. I’d fill it from the mains then leave it alone so you’re not filtering crap out

on the filler side from rainwater. 

Rainwater tank systems come in two flavours and you’ll need to decide if you want a pump in tank system or a separate pump. Tanks Direct do the flat type I linked to earlier but if it was me and I had space, I would just use another one of the septic tanks and put a cheap submersible pump in it as you have easy access to service the pump. 

We have a 4600ltr tank. Connecting to surface water drainage for our project was £20K and we could get a rainwater harvesting system for £1773 (excluding vat) last January, the price took a bit of haggling with KeyLine.

The Kingspan Gama Rain Water system's quite a neat with nice controls. I have had a problem with the system pump which I found was faulty when I came to commission the system and would you believe it was out of guarantee. I'm talking to Kingspan at the moment as I don't think their 12 months from delivery is acceptable especially considering the pump had never done a days work! I've replaced the pump with a Divertron 1200x which I hope is a better pump than the Grundfoss 35.

The hole and concrete etc added to the system cost another 1k by the time we had got rid of the spoil. To try and keep the water as clean as possible we have put filter medium in the drains. The water in the tank which had accumulated over the last year is clean and doesn't smell. The system has a feature to allow mains water to be used to top up the tank, so if it does start to show any signs of becoming smelly we can give it a shot of chlorinated water.

s/h one here --just need to flush out with degreasr 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10000-LITRE-2200-GALLON-DIESEL-STORAGE-TANK-BAUSER-2590MM-DIAMETER-2444MM-HEIGHT/164186750431?hash=item263a4afddf:g:bWkAAOSwu6tesX8e

or new ones at around £1200-£1300

you would need to bury these types of tanks really --so they don,t freeze

Edited by scottishjohn

On 08/05/2020 at 10:27, Onoff said:

@Bitpipe's cheapo build out of IBC tanks makes interesting reading:

It was a fun project but i've had quite a few 'weepy' leaks from the IBC pipework and had to replace a few fittings. have drained it again to dry out and try to sort one last stubborn leak.

The pump also failed last summer (got a refund) so need something more powerful - I know Jeremy recommended some so will look into that once everything is watertight.

Totally agree with @PeterW - not the best solution for something that is large and mission critical such as fire suppression.

On 07/05/2020 at 20:39, Mandana said:

Hi there

Many thanks

Why does the fire brigade require the rainwater tank? 

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If it was designed as cube, you could use GRP sheathed and joined ply.

I would think that would come out reasonably priced.

doubt it would be cheaper than the poly tanks you can buy  and it would still need burying --long term the ply would rot away 

Edited by scottishjohn

The ply is only the former, the strength/waterproofing is from the GRP.

Any tank would need burying in reality as the ground is used to take the sideways loads.

The area is under 30mso should come in at £700.

I don't think there is a 50 quid option on this.

no alot of the poly tanks do not need burying for load --but yes they have to be buried to stop water freezing

10000tank is about £1200 new 

me i would buy one larger tank  it will be much cheaper and less work  and just plumb it so you can only use top of it for watering garden and fire men can stick a suction piupe inthe top 

On 08/05/2020 at 07:57, AnonymousBosch said:

I haven't seen a domestic  tank quite that big. 10000 litres is small swimming pool size. ....

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@Mandana have you considered having a swimming pool ..???

Deciduous trees will be the main annoyance if you do.