WiFi access points

As the electrician is in isolation I’m having to do a few bits of installation myself. I’m installing three WiGi access points around the house, what spec of cable is required and how many core?

Depends on the AP.  Some can be powered over Ethernet (PoE) so only need a run of Ethernet cable.  Some need no data cable as they will work as repeaters, so just need power, some will need both an Ethernet cable and power.  My inclination would be to run power and data cables to anywhere you think you might need them in future.  I added several Ethernet cables around fairly late on during first fix, as a bit of an afterthought, and wish now that I'd run several more, especially through to outside, for things like CCTV etc.

If you're only interested inside repeaters, then the type that uses mains cable is simple and very flexible as you can add one anywhere you have a mains socket. The TP-LINK TL-PA4010 is a one I've used. It's very useful as you can move it and you don't have to predict which areas are OK or dead spots, plus it's cheap.

• Like 1

Yes. I would recommend putting cat 6 from each place you want an access point back to where the router will be.

I too use the UniFi access points. Much better than the power line system you are suggesting.

The are PoE so if you connect the cat 6 back to a PoE switch then that’s all you need. No power.

I would also put Cat 6 cable to everywhere you plant to have a TV.

5 hours ago, Triassic said:

I was thinking of using the power of Ethernet ones. Our build is L shaped, so one in each end of the L and one in the middle.

Why don’t you buy one and use it to survey the house? You may find one in the middle of the L is sufficient. Or that two may just become advantageous.
I’m fitting Ubiquity AP’s for my current clients after great success on previous installs. The paperwork suggests needing the safety gateway / router doo-dah, but you only need the ‘key’, as if you’re connecting to a BB suppliers own hub it will fight with the Ubiquity gateway.

Good to remember, also, that it’s the device that jumps to the best signal, vs the AP’s ‘grabbing’ the device when it gets ‘near’. Devices will look for the strongest signal and will jump from A.P. to AP by themselves. 

Another vote for the unifi/ubiquiti access points. I have 3 (one an in wall) in operation in my large sprawl of a bungalow.

Will also put on outside at a later date.

No 'key' here and works fine hooked up to a switch.

Any further advice just shout.

58 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

Another vote for the unifi/ubiquiti access points. I have 3 (one an in wall) in operation in my large sprawl of a bungalow.

Will also put on outside at a later date.

No 'key' here and works fine hooked up to a switch.

Any further advice just shout.

?. I have a POE switch and am about to hook up a single AP for my kids to be able to use their iPads outside. Did you just link the AP’s direct to your POE switch and off to go? 
With a single AP I assumed that would work, but with multiple AP’s I couldn’t get anything working without the key  ?

The Unifi app (iOS in my case) was fine for managing 3 APs without a key, which we did for a year or so. A key does make management easier and enables some additional functionality like guest access, so we do have one hooked up now.

• Thanks 1

I believe that they work without they key.

Our Ubiquiti PoE switch broke after less than 2 years and I replaced it with a much cheaper and smaller Netgear switch. The Key cannot see the switch, but there is very little benefit to being able to manage the switch via the app, everything such as guest access works just fine still. Apparently the built in power supply in the Unifi switches is a known point of failure, the Netgear has a separate PSU.

• Like 1

All works fine without the key just hooked up to a Cisco switch.

The key may have some additional features but guest access can be set up without it I believe. What the key gives you is remote access for management.