demolition / refurbishment survey report

gravelrash

I just found out that my desktop phase 1 does not cover another condition req post demolition. 

‘Please provide documentation indicating what asbestos / asbestos containing material was present on site (e.g. a demolition / refurbishment survey report).

Please provide further evidence or a statement explaining what was removed / that all asbestos was removed and by whom. Such a statement would ideally be provided by the removal firm.

Should documentation relating to asbestos removal be unavailable or insufficient, post-demolition surface soil sampling of future landscaped or garden areas may be required.’

what a stitch up! Anyway, the building was a stable and never had any form of asbestos as part of construction...does anyone know if you have to use a registered surveyor, or is it possible to DIY report.

4 minutes ago, gravelrash said:

I just found out that my desktop phase 1 does not cover another condition req post demolition. 

‘Please provide documentation indicating what asbestos / asbestos containing material was present on site (e.g. a demolition / refurbishment survey report).

Please provide further evidence or a statement explaining what was removed / that all asbestos was removed and by whom. Such a statement would ideally be provided by the removal firm.

Should documentation relating to asbestos removal be unavailable or insufficient, post-demolition surface soil sampling of future landscaped or garden areas may be required.’

what a stitch up! Anyway, the building was a stable and never had any form of asbestos as part of construction...does anyone know if you have to use a registered surveyor, or is it possible to DIY report.

You could just send some samples of some bits of various materials to a asbestos lab, about £40 for 2 samples and make note of where they were from, and say all materials tested, all waste treated as normal hazard. Then state that you had it tested and as none existed you continued as normal.

The issue is that there is no asbestos or asbestos type material within the building or fabric of the building..its brick built with timber and steel roof ...is it possible the BC inspector can verify prior to demolition?

I would think that if all the materials are clearly visible you could just supply photographs.  Be aware that asbestos is often hidden away in soffits, stair nosings, floor coverings, pipe insulation, gutters and downpipes, boilers etc so unless it is clearly just brick and steel you should have it surveyed.  Should be cheap to get done.

• 1 month later...

Well after planning officer being adamant regarding a survey report I spoke with senior member in contamination department, explained covid 19 had stopped surveys..he replied that I should send him some photo's which I did and he signed the condition off with no further testing required. I think it upset the planning officer but it just shows how some officers are inflexible.