Advice of property development financr

Spainy86

Hi, I am looking at purchasing some land to develop. It is currently a tractor shed with surrounding land, approximately 0.5 acres in total. I do not own the land yet but the owning has planning permission to convert the shed into one 3 bed dwelling and one 1 bed dwelling. My plan is to demolish the tractor shed and build two detached dwellings (subject to planning). The land is listed for £165k and an architect expects each build to cost £150k, making a total build cost of £465k including the land purchase. Early estimates are that each property would be able to be sold for between £300k-£350k meaning a total future value of between £600k-£700k for resale. I then plan to retain some of the land to undertake a self build.

What options are available for funding? Most of the equity that we have is tied up in our house, circa £50k that we could potentially free up?

You are better buying the land separately 

and get your permissions through 

A lender may well loan you the money on a conversion but not on something that hasn’t been passed yet 

Developing and self building a two totally different things 

Dont forget to include a cil levy on each property If it apples in your area 

Is now really the time to be looking to purchase?

Already about 20,000 less home users about, may be 50,000 or about 7% of home owners no longer needing them by the end of the year.

(I just made those numbers up and I have no real idea what is going to happen)

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

I am with @SteamyTea I know you have posted a few similar questions but I think if you are a first time developer now seems the perfect time to lose your shirt on this project.

You would need about £165k cash and a track record to get anyone to fund this.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the input and equally appreciate that the threads I have started make me look uncertain. The plot is definitely one that I intend to proceed with, just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of the different methods that could be used to develop it. I was initially set on developing the two properties to fund the future self build but was aware that by developing them with an intention to sell required a different type of ‘mortgage’ than that required for a self build.

15 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I am with @SteamyTea I know you have posted a few similar questions but I think if you are a first time developer now seems the perfect time to lose your shirt on this project.

You would need about £165k cash and a track record to get anyone to fund this.

Ive been speaking to a broker today and he said something similar, I think his figure was actually about £150k. He did however say that the way to lower that figure would be to purchase the land outright (and try and negotiate to get it as cheap as possible, perhaps £125k, which I may just about be able to pull together from my own property and some other funds) which would then enable me to get funding for 100% of the build costs.

That may be the best option. 

I just looked at the Land Registry to see how many detached newbuilds have sold in Cornwall and Buckinhamshire this year.

Bucks has 15, Cornwall 20

The mean price

Bucks £573,989 Range Max £995,000 Min £375,000
Cornwall £322,614 Range Max £639,950 Min £200000

Looking at the last 3 months of 2019

Bucks sales 147, Cornwall 93

Mean Prices

Bucks £564,237 Max £1,165,000 Min £310,000
Cornwall £326,050 Max £689,950 Min £156,000

But I have no idea where you are and what the market is like.

Edited by SteamyTea

2 hours ago, Spainy86 said:

I was initially set on developing the two properties to fund the future self build but was aware that by developing them with an intention to sell required a different type of ‘mortgage’ than that required for a self build.

It don,t work like that --you will be paying CGT on the 2 houses 

you can,t just build 2 houses and keep all the profit  and use it to build the 3rd one  -you will have tax to pay on them 

only way round that is to build one --live in it for some time --as your only home --sell it ,then no tax -

then build another do same again -then build your final one  my accountant tells me you need to have it as your residence for a year to be sure HMRC will not query it

amd |i expect you would need to split the title into 3 units --take legal tax planning  advice on this 

and of course you will need 3 seperate water + electric supplies and sewerage systems 

And you need to register for CIS and VAT and unless you let the whole project to a main contractor (which may mean no profit for you) you will need to know CDM Health and Safety regulations as you will have a formal role as Client, Principal Contractor or more.  You will need contractors all risk insurance.  Unless you are experienced in the construction industry this could be a real ball ache.

I would agree with the others, I'm only at the stage of conscious incompetence after about 5 years of wrangling. You need substantial cash on the table (not borrowed equity) to be a professional developer, and the current situation is creating a whole lot of uncertainty. The most constructive (excuse the pun) low risk, thing I can think of for your situation is to pair up with another self builder to buy the plot and pool your resources to share costs/labour and pain, live on site in statics, then live in the houses to avoid CGT (I thought it was 2 years), and then consider if you want to do it again on a bigger scale.