Nails for Z-clips, clouts or plasterboard nails.

epsilonGreedy

The trouble with 40-year timeserved experts is they have their own language for everyday things.

I have to pick up two bags of nails for the z-clips that will be used for the perimeter noggins between my posi joists. The carpenter saids "clout" in one sentence and then "plasterboard" nails in the next sentence. Looking at the z-clips I reckon the pan heads would be better hence I should buy the clout nails on the Screwfix site, the "plasterboard" nails at Screwfix have tapered heads with the same profile as a counter sunk screw head.

Which is preferred?

Edited by epsilonGreedy

28 minutes ago, nod said:

Clouts Pb nails 

Much the same 

Ok, this must explain why my carpenter used the names interchangeably.

According to Screwfix this is a clout nail.

15525_P&$prodImageMedium$

And below is a plasterboard nail.

18142_P&$prodImageMedium$

Always use square twist as that's what I get for any flooring hangers etc. 

You could get a bag of clouts and test him, if he goes to use these on any of your hangers bin him off. 

Square twist nails, they are specified by the hanger company as the correct diameter for the load rating

even though the z clips are not under a lot of load if you get the right nails and stick to them you won’t use the wrong ones when you have to put up a joist hanger. 

15 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Always use square twist as that's what I get for any flooring hangers etc. 

You could get a bag of clouts and test him, if he goes to use these on any of your hangers bin him off. 

Thanks, we only have a few wall joist hangers where the landing joists sit over the front door fan light, I will pay close attention to how these are fixed.  

• 10 months later...

I was just thinking about this same issue as about to fit my z-clips ... given twist nails have a fat head, wont they cause floorboards to ride on the nails and not sit flush on the joists? Clout heads usually a lot thinner...? Interested in first hand experiences.

• 2 months later...
On 18/03/2021 at 11:24, sean1933 said:

I was just thinking about this same issue as about to fit my z-clips ... given twist nails have a fat head, wont they cause floorboards to ride on the nails and not sit flush on the joists? Clout heads usually a lot thinner...? Interested in first hand experiences.

I have just fitted noggins using Z-clips between metal-web joists around an entire upper floor deck, using square twist nails as specified by the engineer and by Simpson the manufacturer. The Z-clip metal is soft enough that the head of the nail, if hit hard enough, forms a depression in the Z-clip and the underlying softwood, so the nails don't stand proud.

13 hours ago, Hastings said:

I have just fitted noggins using Z-clips between metal-web joists around an entire upper floor deck, using square twist nails as specified by the engineer and by Simpson the manufacturer. The Z-clip metal is soft enough that the head of the nail, if hit hard enough, forms a depression in the Z-clip and the underlying softwood, so the nails don't stand proud.

Thanks for replying, I literally just finished laying my floor today and found exactly the same result... figured I didnt get a reply so would give it a go! ?