tanking around floor core holes?

Hi there,

I'll be putting a box around this toilet hanger, It just struck me that if there was ever a major leak in the bathroom, the water could flood under the bath or toilet hanger box and make it's way down through these core holes and soak the ceiling below, Is it standard to tank around the edges of core holes?

The shower will have tanking done to it and then a glass screen between it and the toilet, but I'm just thinking worse case scenario, where the bathroom gets flooded

Thanks

IMAG4522.jpg?raw=1

I don't think it is, but that doesn't mean it is not a good idea to fill the holes. I am not sure about the best way to fill them.

The biggest reason is not flooding, which is rare, but noise. We have a concrete upper floor but there are a couple of points I can hear noise coming from upstairs, I have realised it is because there are pipes drilled through the floor and I don't think the builders sealed them fully up.

• Thanks 1

Surely the hokes should be filled anyway to comply with Parts B & E. Maybe part C too?

Wouldn't take much to tank it up a couple of inches off the floor after foaming the holes up. Just some of the tanking tape then liquid tanking membrane. Foam on it's own is useless against water coming thru.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys ? some great points there... I hadn't even though if the noise issue, some of that window foam like you said would be good to kill the sound.. I'll talk to the tanking guy who comes to do the shower if I can borrow some of his offcuts and line around the cores, just to get a protective  lip up an inch 

Mr punter, I wouldn't trust sand/cement to seal anything especially with the insulated pipes coming up, or do you mean building a rim piece out of sand/cement 

Edited by magnethead

35 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Sand and cement would do it.  You could build it up a little bit on the top.  Stuff a bit of paper in to stop it falling through. 

Not and waterproof it fully I don't reckon. Needs to get round all the pipes/cables. 5 Star grout might do it as much finer. Then you still have to bugger about with a board on the underside to stop it falling through. I'd intumescent foam it then tank.

On 06/05/2020 at 13:39, Russell griffiths said:

@magnethead can you tell us about those pipes in the picture, I presume hot and cold they look like pre insulated

tell me more please. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15mm-27mm-PIPE-INSULATION-10m-thermal-lagging-protection-hot-cold/401593150594?var=671333738851&hash=item5d80d12c82:g:luoAAOSwBFVbjjgR

;)

Just slides over the pipe, but a 2 man job for long runs. Glass-fibre rods ( electricians ones ) will make short work of threading them through.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 13:39, Russell griffiths said:

@magnethead can you tell us about those pipes in the picture, I presume hot and cold they look like pre insulated

tell me more please. 

Hiya Russel,

The plumber just provided all the pipes, It's Alupex..and they came in prewrapped coils.  Both the hot and cold sides are pressurized. 

Are you after a manufacturer? I'll ask the plumber next time I see him ?

IMAG4541.jpg?raw=1

IMAG4544.jpg?raw=1

Hiya @Russell griffiths ,

This is the stuff they were using, probably a larger 20mm diameter to bring the water over to the stacked bathrooms on one side of the house, and 16mm it out from there.

I think that's the Italian manufacturer at the start of the text

IMAG4565.jpg?raw=1

He crimped on these fittings using something that looked like the jaws of life.....some Hilti device, looked very cool

IMAG4561.jpg?raw=1 

Hopefully this guy is doing it right.

@Nickfromwales   ...so it looks like I have 16mm going to all my bathroom fittings, since absolutely all the plumbing stuff came in from Poland , I hope it all mates up, but I will ask the plumber just to be sure...I hope the polish purchasing doesn't come back to bite me :)

• Like 1