sewage treatment plant insurance

ollie

HI all we have a new build thats just been completed.

it has a sewage treatment plant , i was wondering if we need to get separate insurance to cover the failure of the unit or whether this is usually covered under building insurance?

there is fishing lake near by so if the worst  was to happen I want to be sure i'm covered!

thanks

O

I never thought about insurance fir ours!, mechanical breakdown is about the only thing that could go wrong IMO and that’s a new pump or diaphragm, is it worth insuring? 

• 1 month later...
On 05/05/2020 at 14:20, ollie said:

HI all we have a new build thats just been completed.

it has a sewage treatment plant , i was wondering if we need to get separate insurance to cover the failure of the unit or whether this is usually covered under building insurance?

there is fishing lake near by so if the worst  was to happen I want to be sure i'm covered!

thanks

O

Its likely, depending on the unit, that even if the unit itself was covered your excess would be more than the cost of replacing a pump. 

Even at that..mechanical breakdown is not covered under regular house insurance. So it would only be if you damaged it somehow. It should be well buried so you shouldn't be able to damage it? So in my mind there is no need for cover.

I see you're  possibly worried about contaminating a lake? Any specific reason why? If the units installed correctly it'll be fine.

For your insurance just read the t&c's  to see what is covered and that will tell you.