A variation on the floor glue/screw conundrum.

epsilonGreedy

12 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

By contrast sand/cement slurry applied with a broom does seem more diy friendly.

yup, it’s what I did behind flooring joists where plastering can’t be done (tho I did mine with a trowel)

7 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

You mentioned the gypsum parge solution to air tightness last year and at the time I ignored this because I am unfamiliar with the material. Would I be correct in thinking such a parge coat that will be hidden behind plasterboard, does not require great skill to apply?

By contrast sand/cement slurry applied with a broom does seem more diy friendly.

No real skill needed to apply 

5 m2 per bag 5 mil

Far quicker and easier than S&C 

I use it because it’s often part of the spec 

Mainly for sound proofing 

But does seal up nicely 

I didn’t use it on ours Just made sure the joints where pointed and bar jointed 

As I’ve already stated you can stop the air getting as far as the blocks By sealing the D&D off properly 

and baffles for downlights 

During heavy rain it was pouring down the stairwell and they used the floor to work off to build the upper walls etc , even the cut edges at the stairwell didn’t suffer, recon you build a boat out of it ?

ADCCF046-F702-4CC5-88BD-3B833971D2CB.jpeg

55 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

No not heard of that before, I will look at the video later. With a big tub priced around £100 I think the sealant would be best used for treatment of specific areas such as service penetrations or joist ends. I think I have 200 m2 of internal block wall.

One of my next jobs is to get an airtight seal on the block walls shown in the picture below.  I’ll be doing a parge coat using Gyproc Soundcoat Plus at about £7 - £8 a 25kg bag (assuming I can find it somewhere, at the moment) which will cover 5m2 at 6mm thick.  It’ll be behind plasterboard, so my dodgy plastering skills will be well hidden!

I looked at Blowerproof and PassivePurple but at about £10/m2 it’s too expensive for large areas.  

7E38E9A6-DEA8-4012-88C5-99610EB6CE27.thumb.jpeg.a2119f50562204f6c3e705cd8c6cb700.jpeg

I'm in the process of applying parge coat to my walls at the moment. It's easy enough to apply with a hawk and trowel and doesn't need to be too smooth as it will be boarded over and covered up. Like plaster (or any gypsum product) the shelf life isn't very long so only buy when you're ready to use it. I negotiated Gyproc Soundcoat for £5.80 per bag from CCF.

parge coat.jpeg

• Like 1