Integrated Garage Construction

soapstar

Hey Folks,

Needing some advise on the construction of our planned integrated double garage which has one wall attached to the utility room. It was originally planned to have what I believe is called a 'double skin' construction, from what I can gather this is basically external brick with a cavity gap and another brick wall internally. However I have been informed there is another option to have either a single skin construction (one layer of brick?) or a single skin with a studded internal wall. The latter seems to provide better insulation etc and also the added benefit of a cavity for cables etc - is it more common practise to have a studded internal wall for an integrated garage or is a double skin construction still used? 

Any  examples from your own builds would be greatly appreciated! Cost comparison would be great also! Thanks.?

Edited by soapstar

Not for my own build 

But most show houses are done this way 

I’ve studded out a number of garages to be used as a sales centre 50 metal stud 15 off the wall with 50 sound insulation 

Plaster-boarded and taped or skimmed 

The sales people are often in there 

for quite a long time with building going on around them 

Interested in this as also planning the garage structure - it's attached to the house (well will be when we build something) but will never be a habitable space or built above so wondering what is most appropriate - like above single skin brick or a single skin larger block as will be rendering the outside or is this a bit flimsy? Will have a mono-pitch timber roof with single ply membrane so that's not very heavy. 

Thanks @nod

I guess my biggest question is what are the determining factors in deciding on what type to build?

correct me if I’m wrong anyone however from what I believe if it’s a double skin it would be harder to convert this garage into another liveable room in the future?

For further information we have planned a timber frame pitched roof as with the rest of the house.

22 minutes ago, soapstar said:

Thanks @nod

I guess my biggest question is what are the determining factors in deciding on what type to build?

correct me if I’m wrong anyone however from what I believe if it’s a double skin it would be harder to convert this garage into another liveable room in the future?

For further information we have planned a timber frame pitched roof as with the rest of the house.

We have double skinned our detached garage 

If it was ever used as say an office 

We could simply blow insulation into the cavity 

10 minutes ago, nod said:

We have double skinned our detached garage 

If it was ever used as say an office 

We could simply blow insulation into the cavity 

Thanks @nod

Cost wise what would your opinion be between double skinned or studded walls? 

I built my integrated garage to the same standard of construction and insulation to walls and roof as the rest of the house, a minimal cost difference in the scheme of things, that way the garage can always be used in the future for extra living space or as a warm Hobby room/Gym/Workshop, etc with minimal conversion work. Also a good selling point if you ever move on as few people seem to use a garage for a car anymore.....

Edited by MAB
  • Like 1

Mine is built to the same standard as the rest of the house

icf walls all around

270mm of insulation in the roof

200mm in the floor, if it ever needs converting to a granny flat or something it’s 90% ready. 

But it will make a nice place as a workshop. 

• Like 1