Gravel Driveway

Gozzer

Hi all

I have a concrete driveway with a gravel section beside it. I usually park a van on the concrete and my other half parks her car on the gravel. I think the gravel section was intended to be a garden area (appears to just be gravel on membrane, on soil) and has become heavily disturbed after being used as a driveway daily. I'm intending on keeping the same format but re-doing the gravel section and forming it into something more suitable for daily use. The gravel section has a large conifer tree at the front along with a couple of border bushes.

I've got some info from pavingexpert.com and intend to:

• Dig out current soil/stone to around 150mm deep (by hand)
  • Form edging barrier where needed
  • Lay and compact Type1 stone to around 110mm
  • Lay around 40mm of gravel

Does this driveway system seem appropriate?

The other main query I have is with the conifer tree and potential boundary bushes. I may get rid of the two smaller bushes but would like the conifer tree to stay put and eventually have a completely green border. Is removing the soil (by hand, keeping larger roots intact) and replacing with compacted Type1 going to have an impact on the tree? Hoping the larger roots left in the ground will help keep it anchored. If I remove the existing bushes is planting something in this area going to be a problem due to removal of the soil?

Thanks for any help/advice.

IMG_20200502_171333.jpg

A better solution is to use interlocking matting 

Hardcore compacted 

a layer of sand then the mating 

Fill with decorative gravel 

Gives a sturdy base and keeps The gravel together