Floor vents MVHR

IainE

Hi everyone, I'd like your help pls.

We're self building a new home and are installing an MVHR system. It's on a hill and therefore an upside down house; so bedrooms on the ground floor with bathrooms/plant room while the living room/office/kitchen are upstairs on the first floor. We have web joists and I was wondering about putting the outlet vents to the living room and office coming out of the floor of these rooms since this is much simpler.  The duct to these would therefore be on the same level/branching as the ceiling ones that feed the bedrooms on the ground floor. So they would all run through the space between the two floors rather than having to run the ducts up the first floor walls and across their ceilings as well. Hope that makes sense?

I've tried searching the forum and can only find a few references to a German floor vent brand. 

Is it better to do this? or are there any major downsides pls?

Many thanks

Iain

Wall vents low down may be more preferable - I think @Jeremy Harris used something similar on his build ..? 

You can turn the pipe work 90 degrees and bring up through the sole plate of the stud wall and then into the vent. Back to back vents or at least in the same wall section may reduce penetrations in the walls or even consider making a stud wall 200mm thick so you can also use as a service void. 

Yes, I fitted low level wall vents in our bedrooms, as we have vaulted ceilings that would have been a pain to run ducts through, as the service void was only 50mm deep and the battens ran the wrong way to feed slimline ducting through.  I fed the ducts up through the stud wall from the floor void beneath, with directional terminals so that the air could be directed upwards:

5a001e7cdd396_BedroomMVHRvent.thumb.JPG.12e1fcbc8248a0b01e57309d1a5d9dbc.JPG

On 03/05/2020 at 14:51, PeterW said:

Wall vents low down may be more preferable - I think @Jeremy Harris used something similar on his build ..? 

You can turn the pipe work 90 degrees and bring up through the sole plate of the stud wall and then into the vent. Back to back vents or at least in the same wall section may reduce penetrations in the walls or even consider making a stud wall 200mm thick so you can also use as a service void. 

I’ve just finished the first fix of the radial ducting on my BPC supplied system.  We have vaulted ceilings on the first floor of a one and a half storey build so easier to wall mount them.

One thing to watch out for was the depth of the plenum.  We have 89mm deep studs and they fit exactly in the stud depth.  I had to cut a little notch in the top stud to recess a little tab in the plenum to keep within the 89mm depth.  Here’s a couple of pics.

F5609E4C-B386-4208-964F-82597224AB9E.thumb.jpeg.4ace68d063ef2af269748f56b331f83a.jpeg

E4B95F12-4A36-485A-98B2-A471356270B7.thumb.jpeg.d61bc5e80b6e2fd498c0912e855b3b3d.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...