MVHR cooler product from BPC

We have cooling built-in to our MVHR, a Genvex Premium 1L.  It can deliver about 1.5 kW of cooling via a built-in air to air heat pump, which is OK, but frankly isn't tremendously powerful, and it can very easily be over-powered by solar gain during the Spring and Autumn.  I had hoped that this much cooling via the MVHR would make a significant difference, but the real issue is that MVHR delivers far too low an air flow rate to be able to shift a lot of heat out of the house. 

When our MVHR is running in cooling mode it has to boost to maximum air flow rate to do it, so there is a bit of noise, and even then we find that the small air con unit we fitted in the bedroom is massively more powerful when it comes to cooling the house (it's easily around 5 or 6 times more effective than the MVHR in cooling mode).  In terms of cost, the added cost of opting for MVHR with an integral ASHP was high, probably an extra couple of thousand pounds or more, whereas the small air con unit I fitted last year cost around £800 or so, installed.

If we were starting again I'd not bother cooling via the MVHR at all, but would have saved a lot of cash and just installed an air con unit high up in the centre of the house, as that would have been many times more effective and a lot cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I came across the Quiet Vent it in my research for a cooling solution. The cooler seems to be a version of the CW-5200 from Guangzohou Teyu Electromechanical Co Ltd (with added thermostat port), which is apparently well regarded for cooling industrial lasers.

Another possible device that might be modified is the Waterchiller Hailea Ultra Titan 4000, a computer CPU cooler which claims to have nearly double the chilling capacity (3 300W) and is apparently much quieter, but it seems not to have any air duct connections - maybe not such a problem if installed in an attic.

I'm planning to look at beer chillers, but so far haven't progressed beyond the beer :)

For more conventional potential aircon solutions, my thread here may be of some interest.

Edited by Mike

I really wanted to add cooling to our new build. I looked into the MVHR possibilities and my conclusion was the same as @Jeremy Harris - basically there just is not enough air flow to drop the temp no more than a degree or 2 at most. I looked to in proper A/C units but could not find a suppler locally that would not supply the type with the unit on the wall and pump outside. I wanted a solution that piped the cold air into a concealed unit in the wall but could not find a solution. I know they exists as it what you have in offices but I could not find anything. I'm concerned about overheating in our south facing bedroom. However I live in South of France for 20 years and have got somewhat used to long hot summers without AC. I did even have AC for 3 years in one house, but it was the type with the unit on the wall, and I just don't sleep very well with them, as they are noisy and having cold air blown onto you in the night does not make for a good nights sleep for me. 

FWIW, the split A/C that I installed last year is so close to being silent as to make no difference.  We've occasionally run it through the night, and it's barely audible, just a very faint sound that isn't enough to disturb sleep.

This wasn't an expensive unit, either, and even the outdoor part is pretty quiet, just a bit of gentle fan noise when it's running flat out.  I was surprised at just how quiet this thing is, TBH, as having had A/C systems at work I was expecting it to be a great deal noisier than it is.  The unit I fitted is a small Toshiba Mirai, rated at 2.5 kW, and wasn't expensive (cost under £600 for the unit plus the fitting kit).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

FWIW, the split A/C that I installed last year is so close to being silent as to make no difference.  We've occasionally run it through the night, and it's barely audible, just a very faint sound that isn't enough to disturb sleep.

This wasn't an expensive unit, either, and even the outdoor part is pretty quiet, just a bit of gentle fan noise when it's running flat out.  I was surprised at just how quiet this thing is, TBH, as having had A/C systems at work I was expecting it to be a great deal noisier than in is.  The unit I fitted is a small Toshiba Mirai, rated at 2.5 kW, and wasn't expensive (cost under £600 for the unit plus the fitting kit).

Did you install that yourself out of interest or did it require an approved installer?

Just now, gc100 said:

Did you install that yourself out of interest or did it require an approved installer?

Yes, fitted it myself.  Easy enough to do, the hardest part was lifting the outdoor unit up on to a wall bracket, as I needed it to be well above head height at the rear of the house.  There's a bit about it in this thread:

11 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Yes, fitted it myself.  Easy enough to do, the hardest part was lifting the outdoor unit up on to a wall bracket, as I needed it to be well above head height at the rear of the house.  There's a bit about it in this thread:

Thanks, Did you apply for planning permission as it seems this is a requirement?

Ah it seems to fall under PM rights

Edited by gc100