self building scotland

dave2878

Hi new to forum , 

i am in the process of planning to build  a bungalow in scotland , i have been rediverting a dry culvert and clearing land  for  sepa for last six months 

hope to get some onfo on random points in near future. 

I am also  a tiler bathroom fitter and have been for last twenty years so i hope i can offer help when needed 

thanks dave 

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

You do know SEPA will not allow drainage discharge to a dry ditch?

For completeness, neither with the EA in England and Wales.  I had to confirm that our discharge was to a watercourse that ran all year around before they would grant consent.

..Hi yes probably wasn't clear . There was no water in ditch that I had to redivert . . It was an old stream that was diverted years ago When they built a new housing estate. . But it was still on the map as an existing stream  fundamentally I was diverting fresh air. All work was done with a CAR certificate . 

10 minutes ago, dave2878 said:

And the fresh air discharge from this rediversion was into a existing stream . 

Thanks for the pointers though. I wish I had been on here last year. 

so you have basically made a "rat run" under your house  from the stream ?

If you are certain it will never flow water ,then I would be blocking it up ,unless you like the idea of vermin moving in under your house 

what size pipe?

a nice badger set or a Fox den?

11 hours ago, dave2878 said:

i have been rediverting a dry culvert and clearing land  for  sepa for last six months 

maybe me 

but i read culvert as pipe, 

even ifnot under house its a perfect thing for occupation if its dry

Edited by scottishjohn

Sorry I am not being clear.  On the land was a  culvert  that had been blocked and diverted years previously . However on a map it was still existing. 

So I was basically told we had to redivert this using 600 twin wall pipe. . so I changed the direction away from where the dwelling should be on the site 

The fresh air thing is more of a joke as it doesn't take water.  But I was made to do it anyway due to it being in map 

No uses. But the far end drops into a running stream. 

Got a note from planning this morning. . regarding a tree survey .  I have three fair sized sycamore tree and an oak tree in proximity. . so I need to get tree survey . Any idea on cost of such things