Hobbies room and Office/Studio build

Field_of_Dreams

Hi All,

Just got planning permission granted for two outbuildings in the garden and starting to figure things out. Been reading this forum for a few months now and it has already been very helpful in answering my many questions. I know I will have many more questions so this certainly wont be my last post!

The plan is to build both at the same time. 

Here is a brief rundown of the plan so far…

1 x Hobbies room @ 10x5M approx.

1 x Office/Studio @ 11x8M approx.

Rainwater collection (eventually house will connect to it when it gets refurbished after this project)

New Septic tank (eventually house will connect to it when it gets refurbished after this project)

Grounds/Floor: Unknown as I need a ground investigation due to soil and trees but I suspect some sort of pile.

Walls: Hopefully ICF and currently looking at Isotex or Durisol.

Office first floor: Looking at Thermohouse floor.

Roof: Looking at Thermohouse roof. Finished with slate.

Finish: Larch, or similar, vertical cladding.

Budget: no doubt not enough but I plan to do most of the work myself…apart from the GW.

Plan to start in Autumn 2020 or Spring 2021.

I also have two planning conditions, tree roots and archaeological watch just to add to the excitement. Closest trees (Sycamore) are to the north of the hobbies room in the neighbours garden which are about 3M away from proposed wall of hobbies room.

Like most things, all subject to change!

Currently getting quotes from many people and trying to find my way through it all 

Pictures attached that will give more of an idea.

Site Plan Site Elevation AA.png

Hobbies Room Elevations.png

Office Studio Elevations.png

Topographical.png

Not yet. I am just starting to get some quotes sorted but busy with the Soil Investigation/Groundworks/Building Control/Archeological quotes at present. I hope start getting the drawings to some superstructure suppliers next week.

The external size is 11x8M and I think the internal floor area across both floors is about 126sqm.

Hi @Field_of_Dreams and welcome.

It looks a very good candidate for timber frame.  You could get a firm to supply and erect the superstructure so you have watertight fully insulated buildings that you can work on at a pace to suit you.  Simple erection with a telehandler.  Perhaps get a few quotes for comparison?

@Mr Punter

I did consider timber but really liked the idea of ICF for many reasons. I will see what the ICF quotes come back as and how that sits with the budget and then to see if I need to look at timber again.

Did you have a particular firm in mind? Been a long time since I looked at timber as I have been so fixed on ICF.

I have used a couple of TF firms just doing standard 140mm kit.   It comes down to what spec you are looking for and how much they do.  If you want it to be fairly risk free, perhaps look at MBC Timber Frame, who several on here have used.  They give you a guaranteed airtightness on completion and a variety of frame types to give varying u values.

On 04/05/2020 at 23:44, Dan Feist said:

No personal experience, but a TF manufacturer recently recommended the use of ground screws for well-priced tree friendly garden room foundations..

Did you get a rough price on the screws?  They seem to be w popular thing now