Support for Wide Steps in Garden - From Scratch

Hi there, wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the building of some steps in my garden.

We're using 3 x 2 slabs for the steps, total steps area will be 12ft wide by 3ft high (4m x 1m). We've got sand, type 1 and housebricks, but someone has said we need cement/mortar to keep everything in place (I thought maybe the weight of the 3 x 2 slabs would be enough to keep it all in place)

Wondering if anyone could tell me what the best way forward would be, and rough quantities of mortar/cement for the size of area with applying a layer on the bottom and on the top of the housebricks (if that makes any sense) or if another method of application is required?

Thanks very much in advance!

You need mortar in there and probably some lean-mix to keep it all in place or you will have a mess.

You will really need to build a structure for the stairs, probably on foundations of some sort, the cap them, the other issue is the slabs, they need to be solid and if a lip is being formed then the slab can tip if not locked in properly.

This is probably a little more work than you had imagined but do it correctly and it will last a lifetime.

Think about ground quality, if very loose you need to tie it all up even more so. 

Edited by Carrerahill

16 minutes ago, KirstyAmanda said:

Okay doke, any idea on quantity of mortar? and lean mix? (i have no idea what that is) thanks again

How long is a piece of string?

First thing is first, what are you building the stairs upon? Are you replacing existing, or are you digging into a slope to add stairs? Can you post some images and or a sketch of the proposed and I will give you some advice and qty's.

In generally terms a below ground mortar would be 3:1 so 3 buckets of sand to 1 of cement, above it can be 4:1 but you may stick to 3:1 for strength. Obviously all measuring can be altered, i.e. 3 cups sand 1 cup of cement for a small repair, or 3 bags of sand 1 bag cement for a mixer load type thing. 

Lean mix is just a lean concrete used as a bound back-fill, say between the brick structure etc. etc. Lean mix is really just a weak concrete that serves no real structural purpose. I'd use a 9:5:1 (aggregate:sharp sand:cement) and always use the least amount of water you can for mixing these, more water = weaker.

Mortar is often made using building sand, concrete is ALWAYS sharp sand, building sand is simply a filler and does nothing. Sharp sand is angular and binds up with cement to make a strong mix.

If I was going to build a wall of say 20 concrete blocks, I'd expect a little under half a wheelbarrow full of mortar would work for my bedding (bottom layer on concrete foundation) and joints. That is probably about 1.5 builders buckets of sand and about 1/3 bucket of cement, some plasticiser too (makes it so much easier to work with). Then add a little water at a time, get it wrong you will end up with slop, then you need to add heaps more sand and cement and will have loads of waste. Even a cup too much water could trash a 1/3 barrow mix.

All depends how much you want to go for in one go. I always tend to mix a mixer load for projects I am doing but a barrow mix is good for small bits. 

Watch/view these:

https://www.diy.com/ideas-advice/how-to-build-garden-steps/CC_npci_100146.art

Edited by Carrerahill