damp caused by cavity insulation

tonygg

Hi, I have some damp joists at the front of the house, I think the vents have been blocked by cavity wall insulation.

It was done prior to me buying it, I wondered if theres a record of who did it and whether I would have any comeback ?

Also is there a way of clearing them from the outside, (they have very thin gaps) or would I need to get under the floor ?

(the house is tenanted and I would rather stay out due to the virus)

thanks

If they are plastic vents, just break them if they don't come out easy with a lump hammer, clean everything out, make a liner out of something waterproof (tile backer board is good for this) to stop anymore stuff dropping down, and then replace the grille, they are only cheap off the internet.

if its a terracotta vent, same as above, and then replace with plastic.

All done from the outside.

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

22 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

If they are plastic vents, just break them if they don't come out easy with a lump hammer, clean everything out, make a liner out of something waterproof (tile backer board is good for this) to stop anymore stuff dropping down, and then replace the grille, they are only cheap off the internet.

if its a terracotta vent, same as above, and then replace with plastic.

All done from the outside.

thanks

8 minutes ago, tonygg said:

hi, I think maybe 1930s, ground floor, do they have vents for upper floors ?

I was thinking about weep hole plastic thingies seen on modern builds round window and door lintels and also long the lower dpc where a cavity tray is fitted. Sometimes I ask dumb questions to tease out a bit more detail. Knowing the age of the house might help others picture your situation.