Is the VAT reclaim scheme running at the moment?

With CV-19 I suspect not?

I am considering very shortly (days?) applying for a certificate of temporary habitation to give me "proof of completion" and submitting my VAT claim.

I don't want to blow this chance, if I get the temporary habitation and don't use it for a VAT claim within 3 months, then I will have to wait until actual completion.

So do i apply for the temporary habitation or wait?

Probably best to see if HMRC are processing vat claims.

I had my completion certificate issued on Monday, after a previous nonsense outlined in another thread. In the next 3 months I hope I can draw money down from the bank and more suppliers open to get a few remaining bigger money materials to claim back.

I'm not rushing to get the money if I can't spend it currently.

I would wait personally if you aren’t desperate to get the habitation certificate. HMRC will all be tied up on Covid related matters I imagine. And I know someone who tried the helpline and got nowhere. 

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

I would wait personally if you aren’t desperate to get the habitation certificate. HMRC will all be tied up on Covid related matters I imagine. And I know someone who tried the helpline and got nowhere. 

I was going to try the helpline at some stage this week.

Yes the "plan" is not quite working.  The plan was to get the temporary habitation and use that for my VAT claim which just might give me enough cash to finish.  I was also with the temporary habitation hoping to move onto something more like normal insurance.  I have to sort that by mid May.

But my dealings with an insurance broker have so far got nowhere.  On the assumption that I have a temporary habitation but still have some jobs to do I have been trying to get an insurance quote. But in spite of answering the myriad of questions they have come back with, I still don't have a quote.

So it looks like I will be renewing the self build policy yet again and that takes away the rush to get the temporary habitation.

One more question.

If I get my temporary habitation certificate.  I then have 3 months so submit my claim.  Can I claim for items bought in that 3 months, or can I only claim for items bought up to the date of the temporary habitation certificate?

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

One more question.

If I get my temporary habitation certificate.  I then have 3 months so submit my claim.  Can I claim for items bought in that 3 months, or can I only claim for items bought up to the date of the temporary habitation certificate?

you can claim for materials bought afterwards until you submit the claim. 

Hi.  Not sure if this has been covered, but can you ask trades to zero rate jobs after you've had BC sign off and made your vat reclaim?  For example, if I got the house signed off and vat reclaimed, but then got someone in to do some landscaping (as stipulated as a planning condition), could I reasonably ask them to zero rate?

37 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Hi.  Not sure if this has been covered, but can you ask trades to zero rate jobs after you've had BC sign off and made your vat reclaim?  For example, if I got the house signed off and vat reclaimed, but then got someone in to do some landscaping (as stipulated as a planning condition), could I reasonably ask them to zero rate?

@Roundtuit I haven't done a reclaim but that seems perfectly logical to me. If it is supply and fit and is covered in the acceptable list to be included then I dont see why not. The VAT reclaim and getting something zero rated at source are two different things that are not linked other than being part of a house build.

9 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

I won't have had BC sign off. A temporary habitation certificate is not sign off, but it is one of the acceptable "evidence of completion" allowed for a VAT reclaim.

Most of the remaining work is my sun room and I am expecting to pay someone to supply and fit the windows (the big expense) and since it is a not yet completed new build they should be able to do that zero rated.

I will lose out on the VAT on any materials I buy for the sun room after the VAT claim of course.

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I will lose out on the VAT on any materials I buy for the sun room after the VAT claim of course.

Yes, that's sort of the position I'm in.  I claimed last year, so accept that I'll have to pay vat on materials and can't get it back, but if I pay someone to supply and fit, could the job be zero rated still?

1 minute ago, Roundtuit said:

Yes, that's sort of the position I'm in.  I claimed last year, so accept that I'll have to pay vat on materials and can't get it back, but if I pay someone to supply and fit, could the job be zero rated still?

If the building has not been signed off as complete then yes you can.  As I say a temporary habitation certificate is not completion, it just means I am allowed to move in. :ph34r:

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

Yes the "plan" is not quite working.  The plan was to get the temporary habitation and use that for my VAT claim which just might give me enough cash to finish.  I was also with the temporary habitation hoping to move onto something more like normal insurance.  I have to sort that by mid May.

But my dealings with an insurance broker have so far got nowhere.  On the assumption that I have a temporary habitation but still have some jobs to do I have been trying to get an insurance quote. But in spite of answering the myriad of questions they have come back with, I still don't have a quote.

So it looks like I will be renewing the self build policy yet again and that takes away the rush to get the temporary habitation.

Hi Dave,

We have been at it over 4 years now and our initial insurance company has declined to continue - they said their policies were not intended for anything longer.  So eventually a local broker found us some insurance - many declined since we don't have a completion certificate.  I think ours states its a house under major renovations.  Cost went up by ~ £300 a year.  A stressful time tbh.

Hopefully you are still within their timeframes and renewal is straightforward.

Good luck.

Re the insurance thing.  I have been working with a broker for well over a week now, trying to get an insurance quote, working on the basis that we would have the temporary habitation certificate. (I have not applied for it yet)

That has proved disappointing a provisional price came back at £688 still with an outstanding question "is there a stove in the house?" so that would probably push it higher still.  so I have just renewed the self build policy for another year at £555 there was no problem at all just renewing it. they did ask for an update on progress I just think they like to see it is moving forwards.

So there is less of a hurry to get the temporary habitation, though I still want to do it this year and get the VAT claim in.  I am presently collating and tabulating my invoices so it will be ready to go without delay.