On 06/05/2020 at 07:13, Onoff said:

Have you tried a Selco near you?

Tile battens alright. Whack it up and give it a sand over. Put the worst face towards your neighbour.

I've been using till battens as part of my patio planters. even with paint the finish isn't good enough and sanding a quarter mile of batten? (when I get round to the add-ons)

On 06/05/2020 at 07:23, bassanclan said:

Only Manchester. This was one of the few results I found for treated AND planed thin timber https://www.estatesawmills.com/product/timber/planed-pressure-treated-timber/board-rail-timber/45mm-x-19mm-planed/ but I'm out of their area. I had missed that NWTT timber as it is untreated but I now see that t has a treated option if you follow it through so that is an option.

The practical difficulty is that I need something more to provide privacy - effectively another fence behind them. Even the most basic feather edge affair adds large time and cost.

On 06/05/2020 at 07:34, bassanclan said:

If you have the yime you could sand tiling laths, but it would take forever for 300mm. 

Personally I would try a length of PSE from wickes etc and a length of tiling batten and see if they really look that different once painted, it will be about half the price.

Or buy panels and then diy a final small section if the sizes don't fit your space exactly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292756948697

Local merchants should be able to provide panels cheaper and if you can find an actual fence manufacturer they will make it to size

I'd prefer to buy panels but that one is a single slat so doesn't provide privacy, you need a double slat for that. See the problem above with DIY slats

These are the best panel option https://www.elbecgardenbuildings.co.uk/6ft-high-1800mm-forest-double-sided-slatted-fence-panel-anthracite-grey-pressure-treated/p6179#tabid2 as they come painted. Its easily worth paying that to save the trouble of individually fitting the rails and then painting them, twice.

I need 6 panels to cover 11m (not just the bit in the first photo) so we don't need to look at the retro pebble dash concrete sectional garage next door. I would just need to re-jig the post spacing so we could bring the fence further down the garden. 

The "problem" with this option is that... the follow up plan to the fence is to build a small irregular shaped decking area to extend the lower patio by 2.5m along the fence and build a wheelie bin store for the 4 (FFS) wheelie bins we have. The intention was to match the bin store with the fence design in slat size and colour to blend in. Everything else in the garden is being painted Bedec barn paint battleship grey (not a RAL) which is similar but not a match to that fence grey (with a RAL).

The plan after fence, deck and bin store is the long awaited pergola which shouldn't cause any design problems* because its not slatted, only the colour issue.

*Drainage is the problem I have here not design.

20 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I can point you to my local independent, who do deliver nationally and do do things custom. Ron Currie's.

Prices are usually OK, but I think that you will struggle for treated PSE, and delivery from NG17 to Manchester may slug it. The way might be to treat it yourself in a dipping bath made from planks and a hunk of DPC polythene.

https://roncurrie.co.uk/

F

I don't have the time or patience to do that so it's worth spending the money up front on the correct material. It would be hard enough to create a slatted fence without a nail gun and having to paint the slats even without also having to give 100 x 3m pieces of timber a treatment. 

(expletive deleted)ity (expletive deleted) it.

Clearly the correct answer is to buy the painted fence panels in the link above even if I need another fence post to sort the spacing. From my side of the fence, the panels will be butted up to each other with the post behind so we get the seamless effect and the neighbours will have to put up with the posts and dull grey whether they like it or not. 

The difference in grey paint we'll get used to and I'll cross the bridge of how best to match the slats on the bin store later in the summer. But building something 2.5m long by maybe 1.2m high (open backed) is much less trouble to fettle some timber to look similar proportions - approx 70m of slats 

PANELS UNAVAILABLE DUE TO REQUIRING 2 MAN DLEIVERY ?

Edited by daiking

• 4 months later...

So if you look at the OP, the panel in front of the neighbours green shed has totally collapsed. As the first fence post (the left) is a bit wonky it needed refitting anyway.

To find out what’s really going on, I dug it out. Easier said than done. But done, it is. Looks like these short posts are 4’ 8” long with 18” in the ground. 

Therefore it’s safe to say it would be an unreasonable and potentially unsafe bodge even in this relatively sheltered position to just put taller panels (5’ or 6’) in between these posts.

4E558C21-D407-4939-AF9E-AC41834F3B5E.jpeg

picture taken after back filling the 2 massive holes I dug. The post was positioned at the end of the concrete gravel board I put back in its place for tidiness. The post wasn’t in the remaining hole you can see under the concrete mass at the bottom of the post

Edited by daiking

What I would of suggested to do is put in posts (4x4s) on either end and have wire lines running from the posts. Plant some hedging (find the best one for your soil and position of the sun) near each of the posts and wind the growth around these wire lines. Trim/shape them as they run along the lines. After a few years you will have a lovely wall covered. I did this in my previous property to tactfully block the neighbour looking over and threw the fences - it was a south facing wall, and we used a jasmine. Three years later we had a two fence panel length of jasmine growth and height of 3metres. We trimmed and shaped it. The smell when it flowers is amazing.

• 1 month later...

After a painful gestation this is complete. Having to replace all 11 existing fence panels as well as half the posts was not cheap (we paid someone to do it) so we’ve ended up with standard vertical feather edge board. 

It’s like something from the West Bank but (and this is counter-intuitive to me), our  garden feels bigger with this massive barrier on one side.

Edited by daiking

4 hours ago, daiking said:

After a painful gestation this is complete. Having to replace all 11 existing fence panels as well as half the posts was not cheap (we paid someone to do it) so we’ve ended up with standard vertical feather edge board. 

It’s like something from the West Bank but (and this is counter-intuitive to me), our  garden feels bigger with this massive barrier on one side.

Piccies?

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Piccies please?  We have helped you through a 2 page thread...  If it looks crap it will at least make others feel better!

In the end as this was a shared fence I think it’s more important we have a fence than a designer fence. It’s not a bad job they’ve done it’s just fence.

374A8949-F31F-4C5A-B94D-CB70F409EFD1.jpeg

8 hours ago, daiking said:

our  garden feels bigger with this massive barrier on one side.

It is because you have increased your defensible space.  Once the planting matures a bit it will be less dominant.  Nice not to have to look at the neighbours if you choose not to (gorgeous though I am sure they are).

1 hour ago, Gav_P said:

Ooo I do like! 

Are they easy to keep clean or do you need to be out mopping and vacuuming them to keep em looking good?

They’re not too bad although I would get a darker colour if I were you. Probably have to shampoo them every six months for a good clean and just a jet wash every month or so in the summer.

31 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

It is because you have increased your defensible space.  Once the planting matures a bit it will be less dominant.  Nice not to have to look at the neighbours if you choose not to (gorgeous though I am sure they are).

I know what’s happened but it’s still incredible to actually see it before your very eyes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, daiking said:

In the end as this was a shared fence I think it’s more important we have a fence than a designer fence. It’s not a bad job they’ve done it’s just fence.

374A8949-F31F-4C5A-B94D-CB70F409EFD1.jpeg

Now you wait for N to paint the other side an attractive green, then you turn the panels around. ?

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Now you weight for N to paint the other side an attractive green, then you turn the panels around. ?

The neighbours weren't quite so keen on the massive fence ?

We're painting it dark grey 

1 hour ago, daiking said:

We haven't fallen out but I don't think everyone is comfortable with the situation.

Did they contribute to its cost? No? Too bad.

We needed to put up a few fence panels post build to re-establish some privacy after removal of a large bush and until hedge grew back in a few years. Did cheapest we could find and explained to next door that if they wanted better to chip in. Never heard about it again.

On the other side we contributed to some replacement fencing (3 panels out of 10) due to it getting damaged during the build (was a bit knackered anyway). We had a bit more say in that. Still fugly though :)

Edited by Bitpipe

• 1 month later...

concrete posts give it the council sink estate feel, allways wood for me.

Back to your original plan for slatted as this does look smart, I'm looking to do the same. I'm thinking of using marine ply staining the whole sheet whatever wood colour her indoors requires then ripping it down into 50mm strips. Put all the strips on edge and stain them in 1 go both sides. Wont tell the difference once its all up.

Secret pin it to vertical treated roofing batten painted black (shadow gap style).