The Bridge

Regarding keeping sound in sink, I keep my kitchen radio on FM.

All the others on DAB.

That way, I have 4 seconds to change rooms, without missing a bit of Woman's Hour.

Now has anyone noticed that they don't go a week without an in-depth discussion about breasts, but they never show them.

Not like TV is it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back on the bridge.

Installed a raspberry pi zero with amp hat Roughly . Wired to speaker .Also aeotec multi sensors . 
The low spec Mac aswell as running indigo home automation also runs the squeeze box server .

Tested ! Sounds sweet !! ??

8DEC237B-2B27-4F8B-B34C-B79DAC87F66B.jpeg

D0121B0E-4214-402D-ABEA-4D4D9E86E385.jpeg

87E1C4BE-DE80-428B-9F60-C8A75D1F9B62.jpeg

D6E8B1E5-C73F-44D8-ADDC-8FE8736277A7.jpeg

404EFF86-7B74-48BA-9450-B15D74D9F825.jpeg

Edited by pocster

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So you will have a mac running full time as a server?  Isn't that a bit OTT?

Nope . It’s an old MacBook . Home automation software has to run on something permanently e.g dedicated box , pc - whatever ...

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So you will have a mac running full time as a server?  Isn't that a bit OTT?

Your routers on the entire time . That’s a dedicated cpu . Maybe you have a NAS on all the time . The consumption of a Mac running home automation software isn’t taxing ; so wattage is very low .

I have a router and a single NAS drive on all the time.  My Pi runs headless.

It wasn't just the power, I would be concerned a traditional desktop OS was up to running 24/7 without crashing?  Even my headless Pi is prone to crashing from time to time so it is now on a timer to turn it off for 15 minutes each morning and give it a clean boot each day.

I do find my Zorin pc crashes less often (but not never) than a windows pc, so as the mac is based on linux it will hopefully be more reliable.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have a router and a single NAS drive on all the time.  My Pi runs headless.

It wasn't just the power, I would be concerned a traditional desktop OS was up to running 24/7 without crashing?  Even my headless Pi is prone to crashing from time to time so it is now on a timer to turn it off for 15 minutes each morning and give it a clean boot each day.

I do find my Zorin pc crashes less often (but not never) than a windows pc, so as the mac is based on linux it will hopefully be more reliable.

Ah @ProDave ! . A Mac will run and run !

I’ve had pc’s with camera software and even the software has the option to reboot the pc every 24 hours !

Not sure of your issue with raspberry pi . Mine at home has been on 12 months no issue - depends what’s on it . I use just max2play - it’s super solid for my audio needs . With my HA I might setup a reboot for the Mac every week or maybe shutdown all raspberry pi’s at night for example . Incidentally max2play gives you the option once you’ve set it up that no SD writes occur . So promptly powering off without shutting down isn’t an issue .

My Pi spends 99% of it's time streaming Radio Caroline so it is there whenever I turn on the amp.  Left to it's own devices it seems incapable of just carrying on for much more than 24 hours.  That might be our lousy boradband?

Most times when it stops you can go into the user interface and re start the stream, but sometimes it won't re start. Then you have to re boot it.

So it seems simpler just to re boot it every morning.   It's running Pi Music Box which is based on Mopidy.

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My Pi spends 99% of it's time streaming Radio Caroline so it is there whenever I turn on the amp.  Left to it's own devices it seems incapable of just carrying on for much more than 24 hours.  That might be our lousy boradband?

Most times when it stops you can go into the user interface and re start the stream, but sometimes it won't re start. Then you have to re boot it.

So it seems simpler just to re boot it every morning.   It's running Pi Music Box which is based on Mopidy.

You need to ssh into it . See how busy it is ( or is not ) . Presume you just have it on a timer plug to automatically reboot ?

Been trying to find a decent wall mount for the ipads . Avoided Bouncepad as way too expensive . Anyway after a few cheap punts I.e tacky ;went for it . ??

Ridiculously overpriced but it is quality .

Trying to get power and Ethernet to it might be tricky . The arrangement I have using poe works but of course won’t fit in the case . Lightening female to Male extension ordered ....

031D60A8-C767-4E01-B939-D60618BDF9B6.jpeg

3F142510-7E0C-4F38-A901-768D255715DE.jpeg

F0876058-95DC-4DCE-AEFC-CFF6D21BC4B7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Placed the nas on a crappy floating shelf . Think I’ll add extra brackets for support .

nas/nvr working really well !

A few more connections to the router 

D31B6E6D-F182-48A6-819A-6DD32C8C1CD9.jpeg

613B5897-61C9-4932-9739-EEAAD109ED0E.jpeg

I'd like a NAS, keep looking out for a s'hand Synology one.

Missed out big time when my son's mate's uni was selling them off. £20 per TB in a NAS ffs and pulled HDDS at £10/TB . "Oh, did you want one?" said dozy lad when they were all gone!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'd like a NAS, keep looking out for a s'hand Synology one.

Missed out big time when my son's mate's uni was selling them off. £20 per TB in a NAS ffs and pulled HDDS at £10/TB . "Oh, did you want one?" said dozy lad when they were all gone!

Yeah a basic 2 disk ( or even 1 disk ) system isn’t expensive. Grab one off eBay 

• 2 weeks later...

Purely out of educational interest. Keep a log of how much time all this takes you to set up and maintain, then, once it is working, start a second log on how much time it saves.

Then post up the results if you are brave.

13 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Purely out of educational interest. Keep a log of how much time all this takes you to set up and maintain, then, once it is working, start a second log on how much time it saves.

Then post up the results if you are brave.

The man who measures his efforts through time taken is the man that will fail.

The other man that posts on forums about time taken of said man comes from Cornwall

• Haha 1