The Bridge

1 minute ago, pocster said:

That was such a crap joke even I missed it !! ??

"Subtle" and "nuanced" are the words you are looking for.

Seeing that contraption down in Bristol makes me think that you are actually Wallace who has escaped from Aardman. ?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Added hikvision nvr with 2tb storage .

For the last week been fighting it ! Absolute pants ; at the least the crummy ivms4200 software on a Mac . Apparently pc version much better . As yet not been able to even record anything !

Give up playing with it - refund I think .

Probably go to security spy on Mac ...

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Apparently pc version much better .

That can't be right. Apple are the best, can't be bettered.

They are made for complete idiots to use, a newborn would be able to set it up.

Well that is what Mac people tell me, but they are wankers, worse than vegans.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

That can't be right. Apple are the best, can't be bettered.

They are made for complete idiots to use, a newborn would be able to set it up.

Well that is what Mac people tell me, but they are wankers, worse than vegans.

95% of nvr are pc owners so support for Mac version is pants . All pc owners are toss pots because they wait for “updating 1 of 35577567667 updates - please wait “ . And it’s shite and unstable . Windows is shite always has been . I want to kill Microsoft and everyone .

Edited by pocster

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

95% of nvr are pc owners so support for Mac version is pants . All pc owners are toss pots because they wait for “updating 1 of 35577567667 updates - please wait “ . And it’s shite and unstable . Windows is shite always has been . I want to kill Microsoft and everyone .

Time to give Linux a try?

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

I'm coming around to this view.  My wife's been an avid iPad user for years, now on her third one, I think, but she still had a Windows PC until last Christmas, when I got her an iMac.  In terms of my workload it's the best thing I've ever done.  Instead of having to try and resolve some problem with her PC (almost always Microsoft-induced) every few days  I now do nothing at all.  The mac just works, and despite not being very tech savvy she can do all she wants to do with it, and never has a problem.  As an example of a bit of kit that just works, with no need for device-stopping updates, problems created by stuff not being compatible, etc, it's pretty hard to criticise.  The only thing I find a bit annoying is that getting it to file share with the Linux file server isn't exactly easy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I'm coming around to this view.  My wife's been an avid iPad user for years, now on her third one, I think, but she still had a Windows PC until last Christmas, when I got her an iMac.  In terms of my workload it's the best thing I've ever done.  Instead of having to try and resolve some problem with her PC (almost always Microsoft-induced) every few days  I now do nothing at all.  The mac just works, and despite not being very tech savvy she can do all she wants to do with it, and never has a problem.  As an example of a bit of kit that just works, with no need for device-stopping updates, problems created by stuff not being compatible, etc, it's pretty hard to criticise.  The only thing I find a bit annoying is that getting it to file share with the Linux file server isn't exactly easy.

Yeah file sharing can be a bit ropey pc or Mac . Trying to share our nas to Mac no issues ; windows though hit and miss much to SWMBO disgust !!

4 hours ago, pocster said:

Added hikvision nvr with 2tb storage .

For the last week been fighting it ! Absolute pants ; at the least the crummy ivms4200 software on a Mac . Apparently pc version much better . As yet not been able to even record anything !

Give up playing with it - refund I think .

Probably go to security spy on Mac ...

There was a Linux Beta version on the Hikvision download section a while back...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Instead of having to try and resolve some problem with her PC (almost always Microsoft-induced) every few days  I now do nothing at all

why don't I get these problems.  The only PC that gave me problems was an old girlfriend's ME one, but then she did have a habit of delete system files and folders.

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

The only thing I find a bit annoying is that getting it to file share with the Linux file server isn't exactly easy.

I set up SAMBA on the Linux boxes and it worked fine.  Do have to set it up on each one.

Of just use WinSCP.

Edited by SteamyTea

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What are you running on those?

I have just one Pi running Pi Music box

1 pi tsk!. Multiple pi's one per music zone i.e. bedrooms,bathrooms,hallway,kitchen, office , lounge.

Maz2play the best squeezebox player. iPads/iphone's to control via home automation and ipeng .

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

1 pi tsk!. Multiple pi's one per music zone i.e. bedrooms,bathrooms,hallway,kitchen, office , lounge.

Maz2play the best squeezebox player. iPads/iphone's to control via home automation and ipeng .

I will be interested to hear (no pun intended) how that works.   e.g if you choose to listen to the same thing in 2 rooms (e.g an on line radio station) I will be mighty impressed if both remain in sync.  If they don't it could sound horrible.

My solitary Pi plays through the downstairs hifi with sound available in 3 rooms, and also via cabling and a different amp, in our bedroom.  All play perfectly in sync.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I will be interested to hear (no pun intended) how that works.   e.g if you choose to listen to the same thing in 2 rooms (e.g an on line radio station) I will be mighty impressed if both remain in sync.  If they don't it could sound horrible.

My solitary Pi plays through the downstairs hifi with sound available in 3 rooms, and also via cabling and a different amp, in our bedroom.  All play perfectly in sync.

Using ipeng you can 'link' two (or more) audio outputs to the same source. So you could play the same thing in different rooms - there is no discernible delay or issue.

My pi's have little amp hats - not powerful but fine for the bedrooms. The lounge/dining room will have 2 x pi3's with larger amps.

Edited by pocster

1 minute ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I can confirm that streaming definitely doesn't stay in sync!  We have a Roberts portable internet radio, plus a RPi Zero W that streams R4 into the ceiling speakers in the kitchen.  The two are never in sync.

Oh I can imagine. Because I'm using squeezebox and ipeng is probably why everything stays in sync. If you mix and match it's going to be trouble.

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Anything . I’m musically agnostic 

On my (nearly - getting there) 10 mile bike yesterday they were playing this in one street, and gave me a socially distanced slice of Victoria Sponge.

(But the Vera Lynn version)