Easy way to test UFH pipe integrity?

Andrew

Is there a quick and easy way to check the integrity of the UFH piping in our slab? The timber frame installers have been firing nails into it to hold up bracing. I’ve removed a few today as they have taken the bracing down and although they swear they only went into the floor ‘a few mil’ some were really deep, deep enough to penetrate the buried pipes I think.

The pipes are 16mm and just taped over at the ends. The manifolds are not fitted yet. We don’t yet have water or power on site (despite my best efforts).

I’m thinking a pressure gauge and hand pump to compress the air in the pipes and see if each loop holds pressure - can I buy such things?

As above, ideally the pipes should be full and pressurised when the slab is poured, but we didn't bother with this and everything was OK. 

You can dry pressure test easily enough, Screwfix do a pretty cheap kit: https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-dry-pressure-test-kit/72940   but you'll also need a 15mm to 16mm adapter.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

As above, ideally the pipes should be full and pressurised when the slab is poured, but we didn't bother with this and everything was OK. 

You can dry pressure test easily enough, Screwfix do a pretty cheap kit: https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-dry-pressure-test-kit/72940   but you'll also need a 15mm to 16mm adapter.

I used the exact same screwfix p tester 

Though I’m guessing if they have nailed any a wet patch will soon for 

Its really poor firing nails in 

They should know better 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

did you not have the pipes full and pressurised when the slab was poured?

No I decided not to bother mainly from reading threads on here, although opinion is divided. I helped the builder lay the pipes out and we did it the day before the concrete, so I know it was good when the concrete was poured.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Thanks Jeremy that looks perfect. Will order for click and collect and head over to SF and stand in the socially distant queue.

7 minutes ago, nod said:

Its really poor firing nails in 

They should know better 

Yeah I lost my shit with them to be honest. The TF company are spot on but sub out the erection to a couple of gangs they use all the time. The guys in the gangs are used to working on social housing sites and I’ve had to keep a very close eye on them. I’ve had a sincere apology and a promise (which I trust) from the MD of TF company that they will fix it if it is damaged but that’s going to be a nightmare. I’d like to know sooner rather than later if it’s damaged so will test next week.

As mentioned, they shouldn't have nailed into the floor but that doesn't help you now - the ship has sailed so to speak so all you can do is pressure test, hope for the best.

For any future readers who may come across the same issue, the framers asked me the other day how deep my pipes were and could they nail the floor for props. I told them they couldn't and suggested they brace off the soleplates they had put in all over for the studs. So they braced off those and the scaff in a few places.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

No I decided not to bother mainly from reading threads on here, although opinion is divided. I helped the builder lay the pipes out and we did it the day before the concrete, so I know it was good when the concrete was poured.

Thanks Jeremy that looks perfect. Will order for click and collect and head over to SF and stand in the socially distant queue.

Yeah I lost my shit with them to be honest. The TF company are spot on but sub out the erection to a couple of gangs they use all the time. The guys in the gangs are used to working on social housing sites and I’ve had to keep a very close eye on them. I’ve had a sincere apology and a promise (which I trust) from the MD of TF company that they will fix it if it is damaged but that’s going to be a nightmare. I’d like to know sooner rather than later if it’s damaged so will test next week.

To be fare the social housing is far better quality than the private housing 

On 24/04/2020 at 18:04, Andrew said:

Is there a quick and easy way to check the integrity of the UFH piping in our slab? The timber frame installers have been firing nails into it to hold up bracing. I’ve removed a few today as they have taken the bracing down and although they swear they only went into the floor ‘a few mil’ some were really deep, deep enough to penetrate the buried pipes I think.

The pipes are 16mm and just taped over at the ends. The manifolds are not fitted yet. We don’t yet have water or power on site (despite my best efforts).

I’m thinking a pressure gauge and hand pump to compress the air in the pipes and see if each loop holds pressure - can I buy such things?

My timber frame guy used the scaffold to jack off seen as we had underfloor heating and did not want to pierce the pipes but then proceeded to screw the inner walls sole plate down across the doorways and nearly pierced a pipe. Make sure they do not screw down in door openings as it is easy to forget when you cannot see the pipes