Building regs ? Building up to the boundary

Hi - any help hugely appreciated. 

We are building a two storey side extension and have been granted planning permission. We also have an agreed party wall act with the neighbours, who are really nice.

They have a single storey garage that is built up the boundary line. We want to build up to the boundary and butt up against this wall, but the builder raised two issues - if there was no gap or cavity left, you could get ventilation issues. Also the soffit on the end extension would cross the boundary. He suggested we need to leave a minimum of 50mm gap, to allow for ventilation, and the minimum size of the soffits above. 

Does anyone know what's best in this situation. No gap, but then how would the soffits work above as they would cross the boundary line. 50mm or 100mm cavity?

Thanks again

As you get on with the neighbour, I would talk to them about the idea of taking down their garage wall, building your extension wall and re joining their garage to your new wall.

It would mean a lot of disruption for them, but the plus point is their garage would probably get bigger by the thickness of it's existing wall. And for you it solves all the issues of leaving a gap.

@ProDave is sensible.

For gaps, my golden rule is that it needs to be wide enough to be maintainable or not exist.

What will you do when a small cat falls down it?

For the soffits, you would need an agreement to overhang into their airspace.

I think what you need to do is give them a quid pro quo big enough so that you can do the optimum. eg Rebuild his garage such that you can go on top of it to maintain your wall, and a suitable agreement in the package. But also need not to be a doormat.

If you fall out, all he has to do is ban your builders and scaffolding from his land, and it will become much more difficult.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

If you overhang what happens if they move and the new neighbour wants to build the same extension as you, they would want you gutter and facia taking back onto your own land. 

I have dealt with this this a few times in London and it doesn’t make for good neighbourly relations, I would say you need to keep every bit of your extension over your land. 

Most i I came across with this problem did a re-design and had a parapet wall on that side so a vertical face to the wall with no sticky out soffits 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

parapet wall

that is my thoughts as well, no hassle in the future. Not sure about the gap but a cat won’t fall down a 50mm hole!!!!  My brothers neighbour built up to his boundary and ended up with facia and guttering over his patio, He did not complain as he is very laid back, during heavy rain it over spilt onto his patio do they had to add even bigger guttering to cope, if it were me I would not be happy.

• Like 1

It is possible to have an internal gutter so nothing overhangs the boundary but they can be a problem. If they aren't designed and installed correctly they can be prone to leaking into the roof space. Avoid if possible.

Just out of interest, what do the Planning approved drawings show... a gap or no gap? The first thing to note is to build in accordance with the approved drawings and if changes are needed to the drawings as a result of this gap, then that could potentially warrant a revised application.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2020 at 23:51, Temp said:

It is possible to have an internal gutter so nothing overhangs the boundary but they can be a problem. If they aren't designed and installed correctly they can be prone to leaking into the roof space. Avoid if possible.

I did one in lead about 30 mt long, and it cost me a bloody fortune.

On 23/04/2020 at 23:51, Temp said:

It is possible to have an internal gutter so nothing overhangs the boundary

that’s a parapet wall! And do it in fibre glass .

43 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

I did one in lead about 30 mt long, and it cost me a bloody fortune.