Help needed to answer questions from SSE for quote.

Hi Guys

We have just started on site for groundworks and I need to get a quote from SSE (site is in Wiltshire) for electricity connection so I get the info I need to provide to the Groundworks team for trenches and ducting to be laid.

I am looking to get a temporary supply put on to site before we change it to the permanent supply for the house.

To provide a quote SSE have asked for the following:

1)The Kva we need.

I have no idea is there any normal load they would supply I can ask for which will cover general building tools use? The groundworks team have said they do not need anything so it will be once we get the frame up for tools.

2)Single, 3 phase or split so I am assuming we can ask for single then move to 3 phase for the permanent connection?

Any advice on what I should be providing to them?

21KVA would be considered a normal rating so start with that and see what they come back with.  In our case they offered a lower rating and I accepted that to avoid paying network upgrade costs.

But give us some idea of how well insulated the house is (i.e. heating demand) and how you will be heating the house, cooking electric showers etc?

If you want 3 phase ask for it NOW.  Is there a particular reason you want 3 phase. It may or may not add extra costs.

What you are proposing with the temporary supply comes with a cost to move the supply into the house later on.  One way around that that several of us have done, is make the outside meter box on the boundary a permanent feature, so we pay once to get the supply connected there and there is no further involvement from SSE at a later stage.

Hi Dave

thank you for the very quick reply

the house will be heated with an airsource heat pump and is as insulated and air tight as we can afford - not quite passive according to the PHPP we had done. Windows face north for the view and I am not turning it around.

There is no gas in the village so everything will be electric, showers, cooking.

The three phase was due to looking to install PV panels and want to ensure we can add an electric car charger at a later date.

we may need to add a lift so we have designed in a cupboard with a removable floor between ground and first to allow this later.

looking at the info from SSE it looks like putting in a meter box on the boundary as a permanent feature would be the best option as we have a timber frame and no brick cladding.