Crane for Trusses

Willow

We have just had quite a lot of very large trusses delivered and have been advised we are going to need a crane to move them in place we are in Wigan area any recommendations or advise please would be appreciated ?

I’m at Preston and was quoted £1000 for a half day from Ainscoughs Up near you 

Ours are 12 mtr trusses 

I enlisted 6 friends to get them up onto the wall plate 

the following day Myself and two others fixed them in place 

I know onsite even small house trusses are craned on 

Crane hire is complicated. If you want them to do everything then I think it's called a contract lift.  That is probably the 1/2 day you were quoted.  The alternative is basic crane hire but you need to supply the banksman and slinger and take responsibility for planning the lift (this is what the boat club does with a few members trained in the role of slinger and banksmen and the club has it's own slings)

What size are the trusses and what height? and what access e.g scaffolding.

A decent size digger can often be fitted with a lifting boom, this is what lifted our big ridge beam up

ridge_beam_2.thumb.jpg.67afb5a0f7b2834da0fcd0fdbf9fef6b.jpg

If you get a crane in, see if you can get plasterboards loaded out or other bits moved about.  Maybe some roof tiles or paving.

Your crane firm may suggest someone to act as Appointed Person / Lift Supervisor / Banksman / Slinger, which could be a fair bit cheaper than a Contract Lift.  You would still need a couple of people on site to land the loads etc.

We hired a telehandler with truss jib as a crane would be expensive. Managed to get this one for a couple of weeks to do the heavy lifting for loads of jobs. It was around £500 for two weeks.

I think the cost of a crane hire for single day could be that.

P1150352.thumb.JPG.5f0694ec2ea2e886689463a186bbc355.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Temp said:

Over in Belgium virtually every building site had some sort of crane. They seem to consider them as essential as scaffolding. 

I think they may have different regs as even single house sites abroad will have a tower crane.  Over here the regs make it a bit onerous.

Thanks everyone you have all been really helpful, we have decided to go with the telehandler gonna cost £400 plus vat for the week plus a driver £100 a day plus insurance £78 the height is 12 metres but as its on a hill it will be more the trusses are 12.5 metres wide  and there is quite a few of them , keeping everything crossed it all goes up by the end of the week with no drama but i'm not holding my breath, as we have had floods , storms, rain and now the virus which has held up the trusses for a good few weeks . 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

That was indeed a lot of trusses.  A fair size house.  It will look a better fit once the scaffolding is down.  Was this a replacement dwelling plot?

Hi yes it was a replacement dwelling 

17 hours ago, Vijay said:

Did you fit as you got them up or got them all up and then fitted?

it took 2 days with the telehandler they fitted the big ones  as they went up but then got the rest up to the following day, to be honest half a day was taken up organising etc the can't wait to get the scaffold down just waiting for them to collect it