Paintable filler/sealant

DavidFrancis

Want to fill/seal some largish cracks at wall corners and around a internal window box (this on solid stone wall in a 19th C house).  Was thinking of using SikaFlex EBT but, on checking, you can't paint over it.

Used a fair bit of acrylic sealant in the past with no problems, but just wondering if there's one that's regarded as the dog's danglies as I'd rather not have to fiddle with this later.

Tried searching, but "paintable filler" comes back with nothing and a plain filler on its own comes back with too much!

I'd recommend Toupret filler ( powder mixed with water ) and hard fill the big cracks. 

Mix some 50/50 pva / water and saturate the insides directly before the initial fill. Wipe the surface with a damp cloth to remove excess pva solution. ;)

Only use the acrylic 'caulk' to do the internal corners as it can't be sanded or re-finished after it cures. 

B&Q do Polyfilla in paintable form, think they sell it in large tins though reasonably expensive as paint goes. Should come across it if you look in one or more of their big stores. Similarly they do slightly more paste forms so make sure you get the actual paint form as its easy to get confused as they do several versions of simialr stuff but some is more paste than paint so look for the specific 'paint' brand of the product.

If its a small job then could just use a small pot of polyfilla or a cheaper brand, I think even the more cheaper brands in B&Q can be painted over and just paste it in. I would'nt get too concerned over the painting over aspect just try a decent one and see how it takes, can always redo later on if no good.

Sorry, wasn't clear enough.  I'm looking to fill a crack on an internal corner and between a wooden frame and the wall.  As these have cracked, I expect it's mostly because of differential movement and I was looking for a FLEXIBLE, paintable filler/sealant, like an acrylic frame sealant.  Wondering if there's anything that stands out.

Happy to use Toupret on cracks in a single plane of the wall, although these are nearly all less than a hair's breadth and would probably fill with paint alone.

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup, agreed. Just ( wet ) sponge it back between layers and allow 24hrs between applications for it to shrink back. 

I've also had good results using a wet paintbrush too, smooths it out nicely ;)