Internal door linings and door fitting - newbie!

ollie

Hi all , just had a kit house completed. (polish company)

In an attempt to save money we decided not to have them fit internal doors , so we just have the door openings.

I'm a complete layman so just looking for some advice, everything should be pretty square so i'm going to attempt to fit lining and door myself.

After some research I understand that standard uk door size is 1981x 762

The bit i'm struggling with is that standard door linings don't seem to marry up with my opening size , so do I need bespoke linings made up, if so can you recommend anywhere reasonable?

My openings are 885mm x 2109mm

with a depth of 128mm for some and 165mm for others

thanks in advance

Oliver 

attached is make up of wall to the openings 

IMG_2133.JPG

Looks like you have something close to metric door openings  vs the alternative UK imperial sizes. Have you sourced your doors yet?

Howdens do metric linings and Stairbox will do any size as custom.

It may be worth looking into buying pre-hung door sets - bit more expensive but less labour to fit the lining, then the door, then the ironmongery. 

On our build (MBC timber frame) I underestimated the amount of labour required on first fix joinery (used linings from Howdens) to fit linings ahead of plastering and then hang the doors. 

Would have been better off going for the door sets from the same firm.

Our joiner built a jig to prepare each door for hanging - many are FD30 so pretty heavy and needed 3 hinges each.

I'm not sure door hanging is a great job for inexperienced DIY as there is plenty to get wrong - maybe get a joiner in for a day to hang some and see how they do it - my experienced joiner was doing 3-4 a day but they were quite expensive and delicate doors (from FSN) so he was being very careful not to damage the veneer etc.

If your doors are a bit more robust then you should probably do more than that per day once you get the hang of it.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, PeterW said:

@Omnibuswoman does that include supplying hinges and latches ..? I pay £35 for standard doors and £50 for oak/fire doors labour only to fit internal doors. 

Who the hell is swinging and fitting ironmongery for 35 quid a door these days. That is some slave labour price fair play.

4 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Who the hell is swinging and fitting ironmongery for 35 quid a door these days. That is some slave labour price fair play.

Local guy I’ve used for a while - he fits a standard egg box door in about an hour.  Measure scribe and  trim and then it’s jig and router on all the hinges, same with the frame. Latch goes in once he’s happy and job done. I’ve seen him do 6 in a day without breaking a sweat !! He got booted off a local developer site as one of the regular chippies moaned he was twice as quick and was harming their day rates !!

48 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Local guy I’ve used for a while - he fits a standard egg box door in about an hour.  Measure scribe and  trim and then it’s jig and router on all the hinges, same with the frame. Latch goes in once he’s happy and job done. I’ve seen him do 6 in a day without breaking a sweat !! He got booted off a local developer site as one of the regular chippies moaned he was twice as quick and was harming their day rates !!

I can swing and hardware 4 oak in a day tbf but don't think i'd be running round like an idiot throwing egg box doors in for 35 a shot man has to have some pride!