I have to face facts: my mobility is reducing a good deal more quickly than I'd like. And sometimes the mobility I do have is accompanied by a reasonable amount of pain. My memory isn't what it once was either.

I regard this new phase in life as just another challenge to be faced and - if not beaten - then dealt with crisply.

By accident I bumped into IFTTT. Also by accident we renewed our Amazon Fire Stick recently, and that comes with Alexa built in. Curious as ever, mucked about with it.  Didn't take long to make the link between the two.....

Yeah, I get it: ya don't get owt for nowt. There are - for some - security or privacy  concerns which outweigh any perceived advantage. I accept that.

But when you need to work out how to get back up again before bending down to pick up the hen's eggs: when, before descending into a trench, you work out which ladder will be the least painful to use: when you for the first time realise that you can't be sure who rang you when and on what date ... its time to harness a bit of creative thinking.

Voice activation has to be part of my future because it will help reduce the number of sources of pain. 

Please can we discuss on this thread POSITIVE reasons for opting in to either IFTT and Alexa or IFTT and Google Assistant? Maybe there's another voice activated technology which you know about that  might help control simple parts of our lives?

• Like 1

I use Alexa with the firestick and Google assistant on my phone and smart TV and both work really well. Haven't really looked into using it to turn lights etc on but might do in a few years as the tech becomes more widespread and cheaper.

The most useful for me so far is the creation of a log of incoming and outgoing phone calls on my Google calendar: it means I can create notes about that conversation in Google Calendar (others calendar listings are available).

We have a smart-ish TV: I'll have a poke about with Alexa and that soon.

I never thought that simply switching on a light would be come an issue: but after a days' digging - if I collapse in my chair and then after an hour want to switch on a light,  well,  I need to sing the Halleluja Chorus to mask the swearing.

My wife doing her domiciliary work goes to a lady who is bed bound and she uses this type of thing to be able to control her lights, heating, TV, radio etc. She was blown away the first time she went to the lady. All done via apps on her android tablet.

27 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

The most useful for me so far is the creation of a log of incoming and outgoing phone calls on my Google calendar: it means I can create notes about that conversation in Google Calendar (others calendar listings are available).

We have a smart-ish TV: I'll have a poke about with Alexa and that soon.

I never thought that simply switching on a light would be come an issue: but after a days' digging - if I collapse in my chair and then after an hour want to switch on a light,  well,  I need to sing the Halleluja Chorus to mask the swearing.

I have the Philips Hue lighting systems (https://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/philips-hue-benefits)  It's fab Wifi or Bluetooth to connect and  control it via app, remote switches or voice. So a "Siri goodnight" and its all off.  And in the morning I have an artificial sunrise. :-)

Just now, Adrian Walker said:

I have the Philips Hue lighting systems (https://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/philips-hue-benefits)  It's fab Wifi or Bluetooth to connect and  control it via app, remote switches or voice. So a "Siri goodnight" and its all off.  And in the morning I have an artificial sunrise. ?

Do you have an ambilight TV as well?? I have the TV and it's outstanding and am interested in the lights to pair them up to really look the part when watching a film.

.... just made the mistake of getting IFTTT to report when the space station is passing overhead. 

How those astronauts aren't constantly dizzy I don't know .... Must be like staring out of a train window at the fields rushing by - only on  global scale.