Iroko worktop refinish - getting rid of bleached stains/discolouration

t0d

I was planning to apply Osmo oil to my Iroko worktop (about 8 months old now).

My wife got some bleach on it and also it has discoloured from leaving something cold on it. Will applying Osmo oil alone get rid of the stains or does it need sanding? Never done it before! Thank you in advance hope you are staying safe!

IMG_20200418_101712_(1).jpg

Edited by t0d

If you put a couple of drops of Osmo Top clear satin on it you will be able to see if the wood takes the oil and changes colour. 

If not, order a few Osmo tint samples and get a small paint brush and just dab a bit of colour into the white spots until they start to fade. 

This is the issue with wooden work surfaces though - they don’t take nicely to stains .!!

I feel your pain. When i ran my kitchen company for 20 years, i got to the point of never doing wood worktops in a kitchen. Whoever thought that wood was a good idea in a kitchen !!!!

The other thing to try, is a local French polisher, who will be able to remove/ hide the stains. Then get them properly sealed. Don't start sanding them. You would be surprised how deep they will go.

I used some proprietary teak deck colour restorer on some stained iroko on my old boat.  It seemed to do a pretty good job.  As teak and iroko are similar timbers, it might be worth having a look at some of the boat cleaning/restoring stuff, as stains and bleaching on the decks and brightwork on boats is a common problem.

We have an oak worktop on our island, and that has been coated with 3 coats of 2 pack varnish from Howdens (I forget the make)

I think that is a better finish for a worktop than oil as spills just don't soak through, even red wine does not make an impact and just wipes off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

We have an oak worktop on our island, and that has been coated with 3 coats of 2 pack varnish from Howdens (I forget the make)

I think that is a better finish for a worktop than oil as spills just don't soak through, even red wine does not make an impact and just wipes off.

2 pack poly varnish is the only way to go on wood worktops.

Thanks so much for those suggestions. I'll try the teak restorer / osmo samples to touch it up then osmo the whole thing for now. I'm sure i'll need to sand it in the future so I'll wait until it accumulates more wear!

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd feedback.

I used P150 sandpaper and sanded only the top layer off - not much at all.

I applied Osmo oil after and it's resulted in a incredible finish. It was better than before which makes me think the worktop installer used a suboptimal product. The colour has really come out and the stains have gone.

IMG_20200609_072554.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 09/06/2020 at 23:31, t0d said:

Just thought I'd feedback.

I used P150 sandpaper and sanded only the top layer off - not much at all.

I applied Osmo oil after and it's resulted in a incredible finish. It was better than before which makes me think the worktop installer used a suboptimal product. The colour has really come out and the stains have gone.

IMG_20200609_072554.jpg

Hi there, I have the same problem and your result looks incredible! could you please suggest which Olmo oil you've used? 

Thanks!

Edited by manu