Bugger! MVHR Inlet Issue

The MVHR and gas boiler will be located in the plant room, which is just under 1.9m wide. The plan was to put the gas flue and MVHR exhaust as far to one side of the room as possible (which is about 300mm in from the side due to joist positioning) and the MVHR inlet was to go above the room next to the plant room. That way I could easily get a minimum of 1.5m between inlet and exhaust.

Just looking at it now, I just don't see how I can possibly fit the inlet and I'm somewhere between stuck and really worried about it. Here's the problem...

The photo below shows the room I wanted to put the inlet above. There are a few issues:

• the insulated flexible duct and hence the duct to outside, is 180mm - this is 30mm more than what was in the original drawings from the supplier
  • the gap between the upper and lower beams of the joists is 155mm - so can't pass the duct through it
  • the gap between the wall and the nearest joist is 120mm - so not enough space to fit the flexible duct onto the duct to outside, even if I could get it through the joist

So what to do?

IMG_0581.JPG

How about a pipe reducer like this 

http://www.jdpipes.co.uk/shop/store/product/324-170-192mm-x-110-125mm-drainage-adaptor/

Reduce the pipe then a short strip of 110mm to get you where you need to get to then another reducer to get you back to using the 180mm insulated pipe. 

You will obviously need to wrap something round this section. It would also reduce the inlet flow. By how much is beyond my maths knowledge.

Edited by Declan52

You can get a combined inlet outlet - sm-wc.jpg

Or you could compromise on the separation distance - whats the max you can achieve in your plant room? You can consider angling the intake duct cowl away from the exhaust or have them at different heights to get your separation.

The idea to reduce the pipe diameter for a short distance is a good one also - do keep in mind though that when you wrap the duct in insulation you add about 20-30mm to the overall diameter.

Always a solution - I remember a few similarly 'impossible' scenarios with my MVHR that we managed to resolve.

10 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Or you could compromise on the separation distance - whats the max you can achieve in your plant room? You can consider angling the intake duct cowl away from the exhaust or have them at different heights to get your separation.

You could do this for a living ;)

The max separation distance I can get is just over 1m (or a bit more if the inlet is slightly lower down). I had a chat with BPC about this and they've said it'll be fine - and that I should angle the inlet cowl away from the exhaust! So, panic over :) 

• Like 1