Isolator taps...

Carrerahill

I watch an American plumbers YouTube channel, and the same as on the continent I see a lot of nice little wall mounted chome isolator taps that the flexi's come from and go into appliances, taps etc.

Things like this:

41tOfnN2K8L._AC_.jpg.c84a70ce24a32896f4128f708bfa98bd.jpg

That is listed as a designer isolating valve, on Amazon, king of the cheap import tat (2 people have commented that they "exploded" and flooded properties - I could have told you that simply by the listing and the lack of decent info!), I am not filled with confidence, I want quality, Pegler, Hep, JG etc. at least WRAS approved stuff, I won't even buy the unbranded isolators from Screwfix, for the sake of a few £'s I want the recognised brands. I just feel that when mains water is involved you want to know it will stay in there, you wouldn't buy unbranded electrical kit so I think plumbing is the same.

So, these sort of valves are not really done in the UK, we don't really go in for this look it seems which is a shame as I think it is a nice neat option and works well.

So has anyone found good little isolators like this?

Edited by Carrerahill

I did exactly this in Australia and intend doing the same again, there is a company called buteline from New Zealand who I think do all the bits as you need to supply a brass threaded wall plate to project through the wall for the isolator to screw to. 

Let me know now what you find as I’m keen to do the same as I cannot fathom 

the ad hock way it’s done over here. 

• Like 1

i personally think they look a bit rubbish, most modern bathrooms that i have seen in the last 10 years or so have had back to wall toilets with hidden cisterns and the basins have been on top of a unit, all of which hide the pipework, how often are you planning to remove your toilet?? for me it is relatively easy to isolate my whole water supply to disconnect the bathroom and blank it off should i need to

Sure mine are Grohe? Nice feel to them and I too will not use unbranded due to bad experiences.

I did get them from a German website though but they came in a couple of days.

Will try and find the receipt.

If I learn how to post pics I will put some up?....... just pressed attach file so hope that worked.

458306A3-3D61-4301-B24A-5E461BA7F4B2.jpeg

11B259D8-8A25-482C-824E-04A463AFC11F.jpeg

On 18/04/2020 at 08:46, dpmiller said:

why are the arrows pointing the wrong way on the cold flexy?

Good spot. Flex is same both ends and I intended to remove the paper label as it won’t last. 

Never been used since fitted as it’s a spare bathroom only went in to take the pics.

On 18/04/2020 at 08:17, SiBee said:

Sure mine are Grohe? Nice feel to them and I too will not use unbranded due to bad experiences.

I did get them from a German website though but they came in a couple of days.

Will try and find the receipt.

If I learn how to post pics I will put some up?....... just pressed attach file so hope that worked.

458306A3-3D61-4301-B24A-5E461BA7F4B2.jpeg

11B259D8-8A25-482C-824E-04A463AFC11F.jpeg

Those are the boys... Looks smart. 

On 17/04/2020 at 20:59, Oz07 said:

If your plumbing is off a manifold and you put an isolation valve before the appliance what does achieve?

Nope, my build is a rear/side extension so it's an existing water system that I am adding to.

28 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Nope, my build is a rear/side extension so it's an existing water system that I am adding to.

Can't you add a manifold/isolation at the connection point to the existing system? I'm doing similar, branch off the existing supplies to a new lever ball valve, then manifold, then isolation on each line.

51 minutes ago, andyscotland said:

Can't you add a manifold/isolation at the connection point to the existing system? I'm doing similar, branch off the existing supplies to a new lever ball valve, then manifold, then isolation on each line.

I could, I have a roll of 10mm copper and I am actually tempted but the work to get it in now would be a pest and I am not sure where I'd put the manifold - the house is now sort of split with water at one and and water at another, I've already run in 15mm copper under the floor for the new kitchen, but I suppose these could just become the supplies to the kitchen off a manifold with a bit of a reshuffle. I will also be bringing in a new MDPE pipe in under the new kitchen and moving the stop cock to the new kitchen, however I am now tempted to move the stop cock to the service cupboard and then run off my feeds to each area from there on a manifold system.

Hmmm. I wonder if I need to be thinking about altering the whole system now.