Quooker hot water tap

nod

We’ve a quooker been in about 18 months Model pictured 

A couple of times recently 

about a week apart 

I’ve come home and found the illuminated ring around the tap flashing 

When I’ve switched it in boiling water mode there’s just slow warm water that quickly turns cold 

I press the reset on the tank and after about 20 minutes all works as normal 

While it’s still under warrantee Is there anything I can do 

Is it a sign the filter needs swapping 

F8F1526F-14C8-4D84-8A27-35EC04ED72A2.jpeg

4A8E19A8-19C3-4834-9684-E249556964C2.jpeg

I had exactly the same fault. I called the service line and they said the issue can be caused by a build up of scale. I pointed out that I lived in a very soft water area and she said well we can send an engineer but if it’s scale we will charge you (a fixed fee of £150 IIRC).
At the time I was really busy and didn’t have time to get a service engineer visit into my diary and as the fault was intermittent left it.

Fast forward a few weeks and the fault became permanent. I called them again and they sent an engineer next day. The control board had failed which was replaced under warranty. He also changed the filters at the same time which as I had suspected were perfectly clean. 

edit: I have exactly the same model. 

Edited by Barney12
  • Like 2

At the stage where I will be thinking about taps, I was just going to go for a bog standard kitchen tap, but a boiling (near boiling) water tap has been on my mind. I work from home, I drink a lot of tea and I cook a lot so I use a lot of boiling water I'd say.

I have some questions if you could collectively answer that would be great. 

Running costs what are they really like? I assume if you go on holiday you switch it off, how long does it take to heat up the tank if you have switched it off?

Does it require only a cold feed? If I wanted to run the tap warm to wash my hands does it generate it's own warm water? This would be good for us as our boiler is some distance away (although I will shorten the pipe runs when the ceiling comes down in the old kitchen) so instant warm water. 

Apart from Quooker are there other decent brands to consider? Zip seem to appear a lot in commercial spaces.

14 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

At the stage where I will be thinking about taps, I was just going to go for a bog standard kitchen tap, but a boiling (near boiling) water tap has been on my mind. I work from home, I drink a lot of tea and I cook a lot so I use a lot of boiling water I'd say.

Running costs what are they really like? I assume if you go on holiday you switch it off, how long does it take to heat up the tank if you have switched it off?

Does it require only a cold feed? If I wanted to run the tap warm to wash my hands does it generate it's own warm water? This would be good for us as our boiler is some distance away (although I will shorten the pipe runs when the ceiling comes down in the old kitchen) so instant warm water. 

Apart from Quooker are there other decent brands to consider? Zip seem to appear a lot in commercial spaces.

Ours uses around 30 W on average, and as it's timed it tends to use a bit under 0.5 kWh/day.  Much of this comes from our PV system, so in reality it probably costs maybe 3p or 4p/day to run, if that.  It connects to the cold water supply, tee'd off the supply that feeds the tap.  I wired it via a time switch and a switch, both located in the cupboard under the sink, with the switch right at the front of that cupboard.  The time switch is set to come on early in the morning and switch off in the evening, so the thing only runs when we need boiling water.  We use the switch to turn the unit off when we go away.  An option I wish I'd got with ours was the larger boiler and thermostatic mixer to supply hot water to the tap.  This means there's no need for a hot water supply to the tap and hot water runs very quickly from the hot tap. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I friend has an insinkerator Tap

5 years no problems 

£300 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nod said:

I friend has an insinkerator Tap

5 years no problems 

£300 

during this lockdown I have been living in my cabin as a way of getting a real feel for what needs to be done to make it even better than it is now, one of the BIG things is hot water in the sink. There is a small caravan hot water heater under the bed but this  only gives you about a kettle full of water to do the dishes before it runs  out....... as someone who does all my cooking from scratch I can soon rack up a good few dishes ! It’s a pita having to boil the kettle 4 times just to be able to get things ship shape after cooking. I had considered a hot water tap but my location and tight budget have prevented me from following this up, your not going to get a service engineer here......  anyway @nod £300 pounds and 5 years trouble free seems like a really good deal and something I could stretch to, are you able to link the tap he has ? Or does anyone else have any advise. The shower is electric and runs great so it’s just the main kitchen sink I am concerned about as I will leave the washbasin sink to run of heater under the bed. Thanks. 

45 minutes ago, Cpd said:

anyway @nod £300 pounds and 5 years trouble free seems like a really good deal and something I could stretch to, are you able to link the tap he has ? Or does anyone else have any advise.

I have the same problem, our Seble water heater is rubbish, at the right price id also instal a hot water tap.

• 3 months later...
On 17/04/2020 at 09:29, Jeremy Harris said:

Ours uses around 30 W on average, and as it's timed it tends to use a bit under 0.5 kWh/day.  Much of this comes from our PV system, so in reality it probably costs maybe 3p or 4p/day to run, if that.  It connects to the cold water supply, tee'd off the supply that feeds the tap.  I wired it via a time switch and a switch, both located in the cupboard under the sink, with the switch right at the front of that cupboard.  The time switch is set to come on early in the morning and switch off in the evening, so the thing only runs when we need boiling water.  We use the switch to turn the unit off when we go away.  An option I wish I'd got with ours was the larger boiler and thermostatic mixer to supply hot water to the tap.  This means there's no need for a hot water supply to the tap and hot water runs very quickly from the hot tap.

IIRC, Jeremy doesn’t have a Quooker but in Quooker-speak, this would be the Combi accessory to provide normal hot water as well as boiling?

4 hours ago, joth said:

No,  but currently planning to by the end of the year....

I did a test this morning, it takes at least 30 seconds for the water to be ‘hot’ out of the kitchen tap if it’s not been used recently. So the combi would be a helpful addition.

4 hours ago, daiking said:

I did a test this morning, it takes at least 30 seconds for the water to be ‘hot’ out of the kitchen tap if it’s not been used recently. So the combi would be a helpful addition.

Yikes. If I've done the maths right, it only takes an 8m pipe to cause 30sec delay

https://www.google.com/search?q=(8m+*+11mm+*11mm+*+pi)%2F+(6litres%2Fmin)&oq=(12m+*+11mm+*11mm+*+pi)%2F+(6litres%2Fmin)

We're going to be 10-12m to the kitchen, so definitely will benefit from this.

I'm inclined to run a spare DHW pipe over to the kitchen as backup anyway.  [During the heating season, it'd kind of make sense to fill the Combi from DHW rather than from cold, just for the times we draw more than 3 litres, such as doing the dishes, to gain the efficiency of ASHP pre-heat. I'm not too worried about taking 'drinking' water from the UVC as we'll be G3 and WRAS compliant it will be boiled in the Combi anyway]

1 minute ago, joth said:

Yikes. If I've done the maths right, it only takes an 8m pipe to cause 30sec delay

https://www.google.com/search?q=(8m+*+11mm+*11mm+*+pi)%2F+(6litres%2Fmin)&oq=(12m+*+11mm+*11mm+*+pi)%2F+(6litres%2Fmin)

We're going to be 10-12m to the kitchen, so definitely will benefit from this.

I'm inclined to run a spare DHW pipe over to the kitchen as backup anyway.  [During the heating season, it'd kind of make sense to fill the Combi from DHW rather than from cold, just for the times we draw more than 3 litres, such as doing the dishes, to gain the efficiency of ASHP pre-heat. I'm not too worried about taking 'drinking' water from the UVC as we'll be G3 and WRAS compliant it will be boiled in the Combi anyway]

My supply is nearer 15m away from the boiler.