Cladding a few mm out

The window fitters did an ok job . As you can see they scuffed the trim which is not removable. As I clad across the front and meet their sill ; appears to be a few mm out . So I’m looking for suggestions of how I ‘cover’ this all up to look neat . Part of the problem with all this cladding and trim is that it’s virtually ( impossible! ) to cut it perfectly with no ‘torn’ ends .

Be nice to ‘overlay’ the sill with another to hide the mess - but how an earth can I cut that spot on ? ( especially if assuming steel )

ECA93596-B0DD-4E1F-BC66-071F9427DED1.jpeg

001D3373-65D3-4E9F-9DBA-1EC2ACADF363.jpeg

B17FDADF-403C-492D-A78C-96E7B450692C.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Do you have touch-up paint for the cladding?

Yep . It’s never the exact same colour .

Managed to pull it in a bit tighter - will touch up the top of that lower panel part and see if I can get away with it . Else more trim over it .

@AdamSee yep . Sill should sit past cladding ; window company knew that but on install day said that’s the widest sill they do . I can arrange it so that any water running via the sill runs over dpc which is ontop the timber supports. This was installers suggestion on the day .

Last photo shows their black dpc which goes over the timber membrane- so any water in a worst case scenario runs behind and on the cladding board which is supposedly everything proof .

4319B4FD-7B77-41E3-8225-F1D615DCE53D.jpeg

4BE327BF-9CFD-4B33-B3FA-5F22E2EC0FB0.jpeg

67E1FB64-5AF1-48F1-BDE0-D9C2F750B24B.jpeg

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Yep . It’s never the exact same colour .

Managed to pull it in a bit tighter - will touch up the top of that lower panel part and see if I can get away with it . Else more trim over it .

Could you for example put a slight bevel on the top edge along all the pieces so it looks right, and then a little grey silicon and some touch-up paint on it?

Alternatively can you adjust anything to get the cladding closer into the wall?

I'd be inclined to get some over-cills bent up from aluminium sheet and powder coated to match.  That way the cills would properly project out over the cladding and the cut edges would be hidden.  Should be a quick and easy thing to fit, as the cills could just be bonded on with Sikaflex.  Might need to find some end caps to finish the projecting ends off neatly, and might be best to source those first and have the cill covers bent to match.

• Like 1

Wait, possible brainwave - what about you remove that piece you have photographed, rip it full length so it is only as wide as the top section, then you could run a piece of cladding edge pieces (or make something if need be) horizontally below the sill then run some verticals below it, make it look like a feature.

• Like 1

Just now, Carrerahill said:

Could you for example put a slight bevel on the top edge along all the pieces so it looks right, and then a little grey silicon and some touch-up paint on it?

Alternatively can you adjust anything to get the cladding closer into the wall?

Not really able to move studding ‘in’ . 
Bevelling edges would require a skilled man with infinite patience .

Will continue across with the easy parts and see how much it annoys me everyday noticing it . Funnily enough had a different issue with the cladding in the rear . Took the whole lot down to fix a piece that stuck out 3mm . I swore a lot .

Just now, Jeremy Harris said:

I'd be inclined to get some over-cills bent up from aluminium sheet and powder coated to match.  That way the cills would properly project out over the cladding and the cut edges would be hidden.  Should be a quick and easy thing to fit, as the cills could just be bonded on with Sikaflex.  Might need to find some end caps to finish the projecting ends off neatly, and might be best to source those first and have the cill covers bent to match.

This idea is best if possibly the most expensive, but I like it as it will create a better drip edge over the cladding rather than down the cladding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

Wait, possible brainwave - what about you remove that piece you have photographed, rip it full length so it is only as wide as the top section, then you could run a piece of cladding edge pieces (or make something if need be) horizontally below the sill then run some verticals below it, make it look like a feature.

I think I get what you are saying but this cladding when cut gives a crap edge and needs trim to hide it . I did think of something like that but couldn’t bring myself to break the consistently of the front.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I thought that might be possible . Who / how do I get these made ?

21 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

One or two people here have had aluminium sheet bent to shape and powder coated, I'm pretty sure @lizzie did, see this post:

Put a few more in . As mentioned the cut edge is a pig .

Pushed a bit of trim along the edge . Looks a lot better just a mm or so out - reckon this will do for now ! ( last photo ) - with a bit more effort .

9B73390D-ED13-4C2D-8985-1E1E15338F86.jpeg

82F390CB-359E-438C-9D37-D5C9E69B507A.jpeg

6206504F-E9D1-4A05-B303-9DA09B26F415.jpeg

E68E4E4C-C750-413F-8EBB-2A28CE592E2D.jpeg

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

Put a few more in . As mentioned the cut edge is a pig .

Pushed a bit of trim along the edge . Looks a lot better just a mm or so out - reckon this will do for now ! ( last photo ) - with a bit more effort .

I'd crack on as you are and at the end of the build when your snagging you can decide if you want covers made up.

Looks good what you have done though!

When you build something yourself, you suddenly discover that every daft little issue sticks in your mind, if you had paid someone to do it, you would probably not notice most of them.

I get annoyed over such silly things, 6 months later I forget or don't even notice it anymore.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

The aluminium cills to go over the top sound like a reasonable way to sort the issue. Any sheet metal fabricator should be able to knock them up for you if your willing to draw it for them, most of them will know a local power coater to finish them off in the right RAL colour. 

What cladding are you using? Looks like wood, but have a feeling that its plastic. 

23 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I'd crack on as you are and at the end of the build when your snagging you can decide if you want covers made up.

Looks good what you have done though!

When you build something yourself, you suddenly discover that every daft little issue sticks in your mind, if you had paid someone to do it, you would probably not notice most of them.

I get annoyed over such silly things, 6 months later I forget or don't even notice it anymore.

Snagging list !

F me ! That will takes months to write and years to fix all the issues . But as a start ( just off the top of my head )

1) Leaky underground dwelling 

etc. Etc . ?

20 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

The aluminium cills to go over the top sound like a reasonable way to sort the issue. Any sheet metal fabricator should be able to knock them up for you if your willing to draw it for them, most of them will know a local power coater to finish them off in the right RAL colour. 

What cladding are you using? Looks like wood, but have a feeling that its plastic. 

Yeah . I think I’ll come back to sills . They left me other issues like this - see photo and their foam filled ‘gap’ solution .

Cladding isn’t timber it’s Marley cedral stuff .